roflbobl

roflbobl

I have a production system, that queues emails in Oban. It sends the emails with Bamboo.Mailer.deliver_now!/4, but it fails with the error (Bamboo.ApiError) :closed a couple of times, until it succeeds, after 2-5 tries.
We use MailGun to send the emails. I contacted MailGun and they can not see anything wrong on their end, I have no idea where to look anymore.

The “fix” right now, is just to try to rerun the job up until 10 times, with a backoff of 15 seconds.
Anyone who has experienced something similar?

Here is the errror:

Attempt 1—now

** (Bamboo.ApiError) :closed
    (bamboo 2.4.0) lib/bamboo/mailer.ex:241: Bamboo.Mailer.deliver_now!/4
    (my_app 0.1.0) lib/my_app/workers/send_email.ex:27: MyApp.Workers.SendEmail.perform/1
    (oban 2.19.4) lib/oban/queue/executor.ex:145: Oban.Queue.Executor.perform/1
    (oban 2.19.4) lib/oban/queue/executor.ex:77: Oban.Queue.Executor.call/1
    (elixir 1.18.3) lib/task/supervised.ex:101: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.18.3) lib/task/supervised.ex:36: Task.Supervised.reply/4

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

:waving_hand:

Just a guess: the HTTP connection to Mailgun probably gets closed while in the pool. E.g. because it wasn’t used for a long time. And it probably happens to many connections in that pool, so it takes that many retries to find one that’s still connected.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I was about to say almost the same as @ruslandoga – try using an HTTP client that does not keep open connections in a pool but always opens them afresh instead (Mint / Finch might be able to do the same with config options as well btw).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews