gregors

gregors

Question y’all,

When I play with apache bench (ab) and I use the -k flag the output for the runs have this

Keep-Alive requests:    0

However if I try Cowboy for example it seems to report correctly

Keep-Alive requests:    15000   

as well as being a bit faster (due to reused connections no doubt). I tried this with a few other languages, golang etc and they seemed to handled keep alives with ab.

Now I did an initial search through Bandit docs but I’m not seeing any settings pertaining to this. I did see a small blurb saying it was supported in http/1.1. Ok hmmmmmmmmmm.

What exactly is ab pushing out? Let’s spin up tcdump

sudo tcpdump -i any -A 'port 4000'
GET /health-check HTTP/1.0                                                                                                               
Connection: Keep-Alive                                                                                                                           
Host: 127.0.0.1:4000                                                                                                                             
User-Agent: ApacheBench/2.3                                                                                                                      
Accept: */*          

huh http/1.0 so I’m guessing Bandit just doesn’t support keep alives in that version. I don’t know exactly what the difference is, I should probably read the http spec at some point, but I am asking if there’s an easy way I can configure Bandit to support that. No problem if there isn’t an easy way. I’m just having fun. But it does look like other servers do support this…probably for ab use cases :smiley:

Marked As Solved

mtrudel

mtrudel

Creator of Bandit

Thanks for the PR; it’s merged!

I’ll echo what others have said here; ab is in general a pretty outdated program that does a lot of oddball stuff like this (IIRC, this was actually strictly out of spec prior to the RFC911x series).

Also Liked

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

A quick google suggests keep-alive wasn’t officially supported before http 1.1, but was added as a response to people using it with http 1.0 without a spec for it existing. So it’s a question of how spec compliant bandit wants to be. A toggle might be a reasonable middleground.

gregors

gregors OP

Update after some weekend time to dig into this…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews