jcorrea

jcorrea

Hi everyone! :waving_hand:

I’m building a WebSocket server with Bandit inside a Plug app, and the experience has been fantastic so far, really clear semantics and great performance out of the box.

I’ve run into one issue, though: I occasionally see connections terminate with {:error, :closed}. I’m trying to figure out the best way to diagnose what’s causing these closures, since there’s nothing in the server logs that seems to explain them, and our code never returns a {:stop, reason, state}.

Has anyone dealt with this before or have suggestions on how to track down the source of these disconnects?

Thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

jcorrea

jcorrea OP

I was able to capture some additional information using Bandit / Thousand island telemetry.

It turns out the error that is causing those disconnections is:

[:thousand_island, :connection, :send_error]

with

measurements=%{error: :closed, ...}
krasenyp

krasenyp

If this is deployed somewhere, it might be your infrastructure provider not allowing long-lived connections.

jcorrea

jcorrea OP

Yes, that definitely makes sense!

Additionally, in my testing I noticed that some WebSocket clients don’t actually send a close frame or status code when they disconnect, they just close the underlying TCP connection. That was a bit surprising and explains why the server sees it as an abrupt disconnect rather than a regular shutdown, which in turn makes it harder to differentiate network interruptions from regular application-level connection terminations.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews