amarandon
Hello! Is there a simple solution to get vim to detect simple coding errors like undefined variables or missing comma? Everything I found so far seem to rely on LSP which sounds a bit overkill for my needs. Is there a pure vimscript plugin based on Elixir standard tooling?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
adamu
I think you didn’t get much of a response because your question seems strange.
You want to parse elixir, which is what the language server does for you, but you don’t want to use LSP, which is the way to use the language server from in vim. So you want something else that can parse elixir other than the language server, but you want to do it with “Elixir standard tooling”. It’s a bit of a contradiction.
amarandon
Thank you for your reply. I was feeling a bit lonely indeed
You see,
mix compileis able to report a bunch of useful warning,CompileErrororSyntaxErrormessages by itself so I imagine that it relies on a parser (part of “Elixir standard tooling”) that could be invoked from a lightweight Vim plugin without depending on Microsoft technologies. Maybe I have misconceptions about LSP. I imagine it as some heavyweight monstrosity tied to Microsoft technologies that is going to eat all my memory and storage space (exaggeration intended funny). I guess I should give it a go and find out for myself. I just wanted to know if there was a simpler alternative.zaljir
LSP is working great in Neovim, it’s integrated into the core now and very fast! Not sure about Vim8 though.
dimitarvp
LSP is merely a standard; there are tons of implementations and they aren’t made by Microsoft (if that’s so important for you).
Also it’s really hard to get any simpler than LSP.
tree-sitterperhaps, but that’s not doing the same thing.amarandon
I tried using ale with mix only but couldn’t get it working. I also couldn’t see where to start to make it work with elixir-ls. Then I found vim-elixirls which helps integrating ale with elixir-ls. It even provides a Vim command to download and compile elixir-ls. From my initial testing it seems to work very well. I like that it’s compatible with the original Vim and doesn’t require to install Node.js.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and letting me embrace the power of LSP
amarandon
Turns out elixir-ls doesn’t check
.exsfiles, so no linting for my testsdimitarvp
Well, it can’t. They are run in an arbitrary order and are not compiled (before they get run anyway).
Auto-formatting however still works.