ajur58
Hi everyone, I’m new to Elixir & Phoenix and loved the experience so far. However, when looking into Phoenix it seems like the standard way to work with buttons is <%= button "Click me" %> , which creates a tag, and adds data- attributes. Then there’s an onClick listener in app.js that creates a form, injects the attributes and submits it.
I must say I’m somewhat disappointed that because of this the page doesn’t work without Javascript + I was surprised that app.js weighs 632kB uncompressed.
Is this a common problem that all Phoenix apps have? Or do people use something else? Or maybe I’m just missing something?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
You could not use buttons outside of forms. Then you don’t need the JS and your website will work without JS. Also
phoenix_html.js, which defines what you described, is tiny (<3kB uncompressed): phoenix_html/priv/static/phoenix_html.js at main · phoenixframework/phoenix_html · GitHubphoenix.js is much larger because it’s powering the client side part of phoenix channels. If you’re not using channels on the client you should be fine to exclude phoenix.js.
ajur58
Thanks for your answer and pointing me to phoenix_html.js!
I understand that it would not work outside of forms, my suggestion would rather be to wrap the button with a form right in the template as HTML, not with JS after page load. Is there a reason why Phoenix decided to do it with JS?
This is the way some newer JS frameworks like Remix do it, getting the benefits of a progressive UX - as in everything works without JS from the first load, then it gets enhanced.
It might not be a big deal, but I believe these things could matter to other people like me who came to Phoenix after getting tired of the JS drama. T