Harrygr

Harrygr

I have an object in my Absinthe graphql schema that looks like this:

object :match do
    field(:id, non_null(:id))
    field(:opponent, non_null(:string))
    @desc "The number of votes that have been cast so far."
    field(:vote_count, non_null(:integer), resolve: &MatchResolver.get_vote_count/2)
    # etc...
end

I’m using a resolver for vote_count that performs an ecto query using the parent match. This would run into the n+1 query problem however if a list of matches is queried. It currently looks like this:

  def get_vote_count(_root, %{source: %Match{} = match}) do
    count = match |> Ecto.assoc(:votes) |> Repo.aggregate(:count, :id)

    {:ok, count}
  end

I’m already using dataloader to batch load child entities but I’m can’t seem to get a custom run_batch function to work when using the Absinthe.Resolution.Helpers.dataloader function provided by Absinthe.

What’s the recommended approach for implementing custom batch queries using dataloader/ecto? Can someone give an example, including the schema definition part?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

mbuhot

mbuhot

This github issue has an example of using a custom batch function to perform an aggregation.

The key is the %{batch: _, item: _} map passed to the dataloader helper, which I haven’t found documented anywhere except that issue :man_shrugging:

def run_batch(_, query, :post_count, users, repo_opts) do
  user_ids = Enum.map(users, & &1.id)
  default_count = 0

  result =
    query
    |> where([p], p.user_id in ^user_ids)
    |> group_by([p], p.user_id)
    |> select([p], {p.user_id, count("*")})
    |> Repo.all(repo_opts)
    |> Map.new()

  for %{id: id} <- users do
    [Map.get(result, id, default_count)]
  end
end

# Fallback to original run_batch
def run_batch(queryable, query, col, inputs, repo_opts) do
  Dataloader.Ecto.run_batch(Repo, queryable, query, col, inputs, repo_opts)
end

Called from the GraphQL schema like:

field(:post_count, non_null(:integer) resolve dataloader(Posts, fn user, _args, _ ->
  %{batch: {{:one, Post}, %{}}, item: [post_count: user]}
end)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

AndyL
There’s heavy doomer energy on many of the forum threads. This community has traditionally been optimistic and forward thinking. Now th...
#ai
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews