BEAM Devroom at FOSDEM Talks

Talks from the Erlang, Elixir and Friends devroom are already up!

We can find all talks at the BEAM FOSDEM website which @dcaixinha kindly put up :purple_heart:. Also available at the fosdem site.

You may find the individual talks here:

Just watched Processes & Grains A Journey in Orleans, a very entertaining talk in which Evadne Wu explores the spirit of Elixir Processes and Orleans Grains using the always fun Game of Life.

:white_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square:’
:black_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square:’
:white_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square:’

Should we use this same thread to announce them on the forums?
Thank you so much @AstonJ! :grin:

8 Likes

Moved to a dedicated thread :003:

2 Likes

Woo, awesome to see this :slight_smile:

Related links:

Erleans: https://github.com/erleans/erleans
Erleans example in Elixir: https://github.com/erleans/erleans_elixir_example

5 Likes

Thanks @tristan for the amazing library, I can see how grains can be simpler to reason about and more eronomic to use. Do you think they’re better suited for certain tasks comparing them to “plain Genservers”?

I have heard that it helps when moving data/computation in a cluster, but I’m yet wrapping my mind around Grains.

Right, grains are for specific cases and certain tasks, not a replacement for genservers.

1 Like

Hey @chouzar, great to know you’ve enjoyed the talk!

For reference, the videos from the other talks are already up in the BEAM FOSDEM website (except for @Qqwy’s video which is still being edited :frowning_face:). You can also find them on the FOSDEM website obviously, but in this page you can see all the talks in one place. Hope you all enjoy – we had really amazing speakers and talks :star:

2 Likes

Hey all! Just to let you know that after a couple of months of waiting, the video of my talk (‘Going Meta with Elixir Macros’) is finally also finished and uploaded. Hooray!

3 Likes

I can’t see it
 There is just a stub player, like when a youtube link is broken
 The other videos in the linked list are loading properly.

Do you have a direct link to the video?

@NobbZ it should be fixed now. But in any case, here is a direct link. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I can see the video now!

1 Like