alimakki

alimakki

Hello everyone.

I wanted to share a product that I’ve been working on in our company named BeatConnect, a multiplayer DAW that uses elixir and phoenix channels in the backend.

A bit of history -

The company started around the pandemic, where the founder (who is a musician), wanted to collaborate with his friends without the need to drag equipment and instruments physically, which inspired the idea.

The product originally started as a VST3 plugin that you can load into any DAW which would provided you with a small “mini sequencer” that you can invite peers to join in a collaborative session, drop samples, edit, and do what music producers do, and eventually take the edited stems back into your DAW of choice.

The original iteration used a java server which is where I originally came in, as I was a java dev before joining the company. Oddly (at the time), the website was built in elixir and live-view by a 3rd part, which I have not encountered before.

As we evolved and simplified, we made the decision to eventually deprecate the java server in favor of going all in with elixir, as it was a “natural fit” for our use case. As the Java server was a purely TCP based server with our custom protocol, the first port to the elixir backend was fairly lightweight and built off of gen_tcp, presence and pubsub.

Fast forward to today, the our server is now an umbrella application, spanning a protocol server that powers the the mDaw itself (which is now a phoenix channel server), a web-app and and admin server.

The beauty of the elixir stack is how it all clusters together so well, allow each component to message each other with ease. I’m not a huge fan of the classic ORMs (e.x. hibernate), but I’ve come to grow fond of Ecto and it’s query dsl. I’ve also really enjoyed the developer experience in the elixir ecosystem. Things tend to be well thought out, well documented and digging through the code if necessary is not too terrifying.

Happy to answer any questions :slight_smile:

If you want to give it a shot, visit www (dot) beatconnect (dot) com

(mDaw screenshot)

Showing Posts 1 to 1

harmon25

harmon25

Hi @alimakki! :smiley:
I have had the pleasure of working at BeatConnect with @alimakki for a couple years now. We have come a long way since the java server!

Shout out to @tomkonidas - who planted the Elixir seed, and what ultimately landed me the job :stuck_out_tongue:

We also have a lot of other tech at play:

  • Unity + C++ for the mDAW UI and audio engine
  • Electron + React for for our desktop launcher app
  • The web app (auth/registration) has a lot of live_view (and Surface)
  • Marketing website (beatconnect.com) is nextjs

Let us know if you have any questions!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews