jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb

Hi all, I’m wondering if I can get some advice on basic OTP design:

I need to batch send API requests in batches of 5 but no request should wait for more than 10 seconds before being sent.

I have a flawed working version - a batch_server GenServer whose state is a map with a reference id key and value is a list of api tasks:

state = %{batch_id => [ task_1, task_2 ... ]}

The batch_id would allow us to identify the 10 second timeout via a handle_info call:

def handle_call({:new_task, task}, _from, state) do
  current_batch = Enum.find(state, fn {k, v} -> length(v) < 5 end)

  case current_batch do
    nil ->
      batch_id = gen_random_id()
      Process.send_after(self(), {:batch_timeout, batch_id}, 10 * 1000)

     {:reply, :ok, Map.put(state, batch_id, [task]}

    {batch_id, tasks} when length(tasks) == 4 -> 
      # SYNCHRONOUSLY send batched API request
    
    {batch_id, tasks} -> 
      #  Map.update!(state, batch_id, & [task | &1])
  end
end

def handle_info({:batch_timeout, batch_id}, state) do
  if Map.get(state, batch_id) do
    # SYNCHRONOUSLY send batched API request
  else
    # Current batch was already sent as it reached batch limit of 5
  end
end

This :point_up: works fine, but the design is flawed because the API call is synchronous and therefore blocks my GenServer.

I’m looking for an alternative way around this - I was wondering if I should create a new BatchServer instance for each new batch and parent GenServer who keeps a register of BatchServers and can therefore allocate tasks to a running BatchServer or spin up a new one if there are none open.

Any advice apprciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This matches what :poolboy does pretty well - it’s an Erlang library, but here’s a writeup on how to use it in Elixir

dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

When you say SYNCHRONOUSLY is it that you want to

  1. Just ensure errors are propagated
  2. Never execute two batches at the same time
  3. Return a value from executing the batch?

Ensure errors are handled (case 1)

Here we’re just using spawn_link() to run the work, so the batch processor is not blocked, but if something goes wrong with the batch the processor is killed too. Here it might happen that multiple batches are run in parallel at the same time.

def handle_call({:new_task, task}, _from, state) do
  current_batch = Enum.find(state, fn {k, v} -> length(v) < 5 end)

  case current_batch do
    nil ->
      batch_id = gen_random_id()
      Process.send_after(self(), {:batch_timeout, batch_id}, 10 * 1000)

     {:reply, :ok, Map.put(state, batch_id, [task]}

    {batch_id, tasks} when length(tasks) == 4 -> 
      # SYNCHRONOUSLY send batched API request
      state = Map.update!(state, batch_id, & [task | &1])
      {:noreply, state} = handle_info({:batch_timeout, batch_id}, state)
      {:reply, :ok, state}
    
    {batch_id, tasks} -> 
      {:reply, :ok, Map.update!(state, batch_id, & [task | &1])}
  end
end

def handle_info({:batch_timeout, batch_id}, state) do
  case Map.pop(state, batch_id) do
    {nil, _state} -> {:noreply, state}
    {batch, state} -> 
      spawn_link(fn -> work(batch) end)
      {:noreply, state}
  end
end

Never execute two batches at the same time (case 2)

For this I’m moving the start of the timer into the caller and change from a GenServer.call() to a GenServer.cast() – So now the processing is after each other and never blocks. But as a result the server might get overloaded when batch processing is slower than incoming batches…

def new_task(task) do
  batch_id = gen_random_id()
  Process.send_after(__MODULE__, {:batch_timeout, batch_id}, 10 * 1000)
  GenServer.cast(__MODULE__, {:new_task, task, batch_id}})
end

def handle_cast({:new_task, task, batch_id}, _from, state) do
  current_batch = Enum.find(state, fn {k, v} -> length(v) < 5 end)

  case current_batch do
    nil ->
     {:noreply, Map.put(state, batch_id, [task]}

    {batch_id, tasks} when length(tasks) == 4 -> 
      state = Map.update!(state, batch_id, & [task | &1])
      handle_info({:batch_timeout, batch_id}, state)

    {batch_id, tasks} -> 
      {:noreply, Map.update!(state, batch_id, & [task | &1])}
  end
end

def handle_info({:batch_timeout, batch_id}, state) do
  case Map.pop(state, batch_id) do
    {nil, _state} -> {:noreply, state}
    {batch, state} -> 
      # SYNCHRONOUSLY send batched API request
      work(...)
      {:noreply, state}
  end
end

Return a value from the batch (case 3)

In case you want to return a value from the batch processing / task processing back to the one who submitted the task you can combine that either with case 1 or two 2. Just in addition you have to use the GenServer.call() with {:noreply, …} and GenServer.reply() to reply after the batch submission is done. Left as an exercise for the reader :wink:

jmurphyweb

jmurphyweb OP

@al2o3cr
Great. Thanks for pointing that out, I’ve never used directly but assumed this was a pattern that is widely used. I’ll take a look at the docs.


@dominicletz
This is fantastic answer, I really appreciate that!

This is a challenge I have for a job I’m applying for, I am not sure about errors and responses, but yes they were on my mind when I posed the question. I don’t mind about requests going out at the same time.

I’ll take a closer look at your solutions shortly :pray:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews