superruzafa

superruzafa

Hi.

I’m trying to test a module that performs gRPC calls using the elixir-grpc library.

Such library allows to inject the underlying HTTP client which by default is GRPC.Adapter.Gun.

My idea is to create a mock of this client with Mox and use it in the tests but for this I need some @behaviour to start from.

Do you know if the Gun client is based on some standard behaviour?

Or must I extract the behaviour of this module?

I know I could use grpc_mock but I’d like to avoid it in this case.

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

the-mikedavis

the-mikedavis

It looks like that library doesn’t define a @behaviour for the gun client so you’ll have to derive it yourself. Based on what I see in lib/grpc/stub.ex, you’ll probably need to write callbacks for these functions:

  • connect/2
  • disconnect/1
  • send_request/3
  • send_headers/2
  • end_stream/1
  • cancel/2
  • recv_headers/3
  • recv_data_or_trailers/3

If you write up some nice callbacks for these functions I’m sure the library maintainer(s) would appreciate a PR to add it to the project!

superruzafa

superruzafa OP

Thanks @the-mikedavis,

I already tried to extract the @behaviour from the module public functions, some of them have @spec’s while others don’t, and I have to figure out the correct @spec for those, hence the question :slight_smile:

the-mikedavis

the-mikedavis

ah yep you’ll have to infer the types for ones that are missing

I think this is generally considered bad… behaviour (haha) but you can always use the any() type when in doubt:

# test/support/my_grpc_gun_adapter_behaviour.ex
defmodule MyGrpcGunAdapterBehaviour do
  @callback connect(GRPC.Channel.t(), any()) :: {:ok, GRPC.Channel.t()} | {:error, any()}
  @callback disconnect(any()) :: any()
  # ..
end

Mox.defmock(MyGrpcGunAdapterMock, for: MyGrpcGunAdapterBehaviour)

since Mox doesn’t check the types of the callbacks (although hammox does that if you’re interested in that kind of rigor)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews