9mm
I’m looking to deploy a Phoenix API to AWS. I don’t need any fancy features, I just need to be able to select a specific node type (high compute), and ideally it could be easy to deploy nodes.
There are thousands of guides I’m finding, and the 3 i’ve tried were all broken.
Is there a really good guide (in terms of security, scalability, configuration, etc), which I can just fully commit to going through?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
gavsim
Have you considered nanobox.io? I know they support deploying to AWS and have Elixir / Phoenix as a supported platform: https://guides.nanobox.io/elixir/phoenix/
idi527
Maybe GitHub - bitwalker/distillery-aws-example: An example application to go with the AWS guide in the Distillery documentation · GitHub for Deploying To AWS - Distillery Documentation
9mm
That guide is so broken that I just stopped following it.
This is the one I’m doing now:
https://cloud.google.com/community/tutorials/elixir-phoenix-on-kubernetes-google-container-engine
It works great so far, the only part I’m confused on is where I define my environment variables so that REPLACE_OS_VARS from distillery can replace them. I’m assuming its not when i package the release, but after.
idi527
You can set
REPLACE_OS_VARSin a pre configure hook.As for the distillery guide, it wasn’t broken at all when I followed it a few months ago.
9mm
Hmm weird. I encountered like 3 or 4 places that I fixed easily enough but it didn’t give me confidence in the guide. ultimately I stopped though because I didnt want to depend on amazon blackbox services which Ive had experience with before. Granted, my current method deals with Google blackbox services but I trust those more for some reason.
If you look at that link you will see
REPLACE_OS_VARSin the docker image, so I basically do this (all the environment variables at this point look like"${THIS_FORMAT}":At this point I can do:
and it works…
Then
I can see in their docker image they have
REPLACE_OS_VARSI’m just wondering where they fit in AFTER release but before docker build? Can you explain what you mean by pre-configure hook?Also as a side question. One thing I found really strange was that I could
mix releasewith your standard"${VAR_HERE}".. and then when i would RUN the release withREPLACE_OS_VARS=true ... foregroundit would work! This part I dont understand, how does the app know AT RUN TIME to replace the variables? Is that some code distilierry injects into my app to make it know to do that at run time rather than at compile time?9mm
Oh I see, its in the deploy scripts in
_build/prod/rel/app/lib/clever
idi527
You can set
REPLACE_OS_VARSjust before running the app. It’s being deprecated in favor of config providers, though.See Runtime Configuration - Distillery Documentation for more.
9mm
Damn well this looks super confusing. I’ll have to get docker running start to finish first then ill figure out how to do that.
How might I do that with this current strategy I’m doing, can you give me an examle of a single variable and where I put it so I don’t have to read all that (for now)
idi527
Let’s say you have something like
in your
config.exssomewhere.To make it replaceable at runtime, you’d need to set
REPLACE_OS_VARSbefore starting the release. One way to do it is in a pre configure hook.9mm
Oh I’m talking about doing away with this method “${DB_PATH}” and REPLACE_OS_VARS and just doing it the proper way with config providers
im actually just reading now to see how to do it