Best opensource e-commerce solution?

Like WooCommerce, Drupal Ubercart, etc…? Which one would you recommend? Thank you!

2 Likes

Shopix is a new codebase but is all elixir: https://github.com/nicolasblanco/shopix

3 Likes

Any ideas? Doesn’t have to be Elixir based.

I appreciate all the efforts put into developing an Elixir based solution. But I am looking for a fully featured solution. Can be whatsoever based, the importnat thing is that it is good/flexible enough that you simply recommend it :slight_smile:

Hi, I think, at the moment there isn’t any e-commerce solution you can use right away.

Apart from shopix which is alive, there have been attempts in this direction, but everyone died more or less when you take a closer look at the projects.

Nectarcommerce
Freshcom
Aviacommerce

I am also very interested because I think that elixir in itself is well suited for it. I use elixir for a price crawler and an internal project for job processing. We are using Shopware (PHP) which have hundreds of plugins you can use.
None of the ecommerce projects above really had a concept for a plugin system.
There were 2 attempts in the Wiki of nectarcommerce.

Wiki Nectarcommerce

As for the templates, it would be nice if there were blocks like erlydtl (which is used in Zotonic).
But perhaps there are better solutions than blocks.

Maybe it’s not so easy in Elixir or Phoenix, I don’t know exactly.
The maintainers of the above projects may correct me.

At least that’s the impression I have about e-commerce and Elixir/Phoenix.

Best regards,
Werner.

1 Like

But what is your definition of a “fully featured solution”?

Interfaces POS terminals as well as web input? Manages digital goods subscriptions in multiple currencies? Maintains U.S. state tax records per purchaser? Allows non-technical product owners to input promotion/pricing rules? Integrates with shipping organizations like UPS for fullfillment?

Maybe start by defining what you minimally need/want the “solution” to provide.

Yes, that might be true. But even if he did that, there isn’t any e-commerce solution you can use right away as far as I know. And I always look here in the forum to see if there is anything new about e-commerce.

But I’d be glad if someone would correct me, please…

1 Like

You’re right. Every solution must be adjusted to the particular needs. Yet, there are some programming languages we prefer over others. For now, it seems I need to run the store on PHP but I hope soon there will be a full Elixir based solution :slight_smile:

The problem with all of those attempts is that they are trying to replicate existing ecommerce software like Magento or Shopify.

The whole extension concept is emulating the Magento model, which while help Magento be successful in the early days, came with a heavy price and technology debt still lingering 10 years after. For an Elixir ecommerce system to succeed you need to play to the strengths of the stack / framework.

2 Likes

I guess that’s true. But so far I have only seen one extension attempt, at nectarcommerce. Are there any other attempts that I didn’t mention in the list above?
What could an extension approach look like if you wanted to use Elixir’s strengths?
The concept with blocks an inheritance in templates is not bad in itself for the interaction with web designers, even if the concept comes from the OOP area. Yes, I know, this is not a functional concept. Unfortunately I haven’t seen a good concept in Phoenix yet for inheritance of templates. And you can have hundred of blocks.
I forgot that in my list above:
Crimson Commerce
But I like programming in Elixir and Phoenix, it would be great if we could get an e-commerce system going.
Erlydtl (used in the erlang cms system zotonic) took over the Django Template Language, but it works.

1 Like

I have not used it personally but Solidus is a mature and actively maintained open-source (BSD license) Rails application.

3 Likes

I bet that will be popular as many people prefer to self host and customise beyond what platforms like Shopify can offer.

1 Like

I think, acrolink was looking for an Elixir solution, or not?
And since there is currently no really usable solution in Elixir, he had chosen one of the many PHP solutions.