baldwindavid

baldwindavid

My app has leases of units. A lease has a move in and a move out date. Depending upon those dates a lease is implicitly “past”, “active”, or “future”. I have composable queries like filter_past_leases and filter_future_leases and such. I would like to have an additional filter query that returns leases AND includes their status.

This could be done with a specialized query that returns leases in a list of maps with something like [%{lease: lease, status: "past"}, ...]. This is mostly fine to work with, but is not composable. I’d rather return a list of Lease structs and have the status included somehow and still be able to further filter the query as needed.

One way to do this is to use a virtual field. Basically, add a virtual status field on a Lease struct. Then a query uses select_merge to merge the calculated status into the Lease struct. This works really well and the query can then be further composed like any other ecto query.

Lease
|> preload_lease_unit()
# composable query in a pipeline that fills in "status" field
|> calculate_lease_statuses()
|> filter_leases_by_property(property)

I guess my only hesitancy is that it seems like virtual fields have a bit of a bad reputation. Perhaps that reputation has more to do with overusing virtual fields in cases where a changeset or different struct could be used to encapsulate the logic (e.g. setting a password).

Does using a virtual field and select_merge seem reasonable or should I consider alternate methods?

I should note that I’d like to avoid hard-coding a status because 1) it becomes something that needs to be updated in multiple scenarios and 2) I need to be able to calculate “past”, “active”, and “future” for any given day rather than just the current day (e.g. occupancy 30 days out).

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Are you sure this is a property that needs to be calculated with SQL? Seems like a plain Elixir function that takes a Lease and a Date and returns "past" | "active" | "future" would do just as well.

baldwindavid

baldwindavid OP

Yeah, totally fair question. I have both that plain Elixir function, as well as, SQL queries for those in the specific categories. They have been enough up to this point, but I need to be able to filter and sort the entire collection of leases across multiple properties and these statuses are an important criteria. Being able to do so is also important for various reporting being built out.

Are you thinking there are some potential gotchas/smells to the virtual field / select_merge route I mentioned?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews