jehrhardt
I want parse some text based format and I found two solutions for building a parser:
- Use Erlang’s built in leex and yecc, which are easy to use in Elixir.
- Use parser combinators like Nimble_parsec.
What is preferred way to parse text in Elixir? And why?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Afaik, there is no preferred way to parse text in Elixir.
I would say you should pick the tool that is both:
Erlang and Elixir go hand in hand. You can’t really be good at Elixir without knowing some Erlang basics - it’s everywhere.
So when the time comes to pick a tool, I’d suggest you to not focus on the language it is made in, but instead on the features and usability the tools provide.
Hope it helps!
david_ex
In my (pretty limited) experience, I would go with:
Basically, if your “rules” have a bunch of “that’s not always true” cases (e.g. "an email address usually follows the person’s name, but sometimes there’s a phone number instead’) I would go with NimbleParsec because it’s easier to manage the complexity (by combining sub-parsers).
Of course, you can also handle the variety of corner cases in the grammar given to leex and yecc, but in my experience the grammar size explodes pretty quickly and makes it challenging to keep in your head.
Also, if your case is simple you could get away with using just Elixir’s pattern matching on strings (
"foo " <> rest_of_string"), here’s a description of the idea Redirectjehrhardt
In my case, I want to parse some Python code to annotate it. Since there is a complete Python grammar available, I will go for leex and yecc.
Thanks for the explanation.
Qqwy
@david_ex’s answer is a great and simple ‘Tl;Dr’ one. For parsing Python code, going the route of Leex/Yecc definitely makes sense.
If you want a more in-depth question/anwer about when to use Parser Combinators and when to use Parser Generators, then this was a question I dwelled on ~2.5 years ago for quite a significant amount of time. You might enjoy reading my StackOverflow Question + Answer on this matter.