emoragaf

emoragaf

Hello, we have this situation right now:

Every time we make a sale we need to emit a document with a unique and sequential document number.

These numbers belong to a sequence based on the product sold (each document is for one product), we have a reserved range of numbers for each product, the ranges are big enough that we do not need to worry about running out of numbers right now.

We are looking at some options to generate these numbers (postgres sequences, Kafka events, Zookeeper sequence nodes), and I thought that maybe this is a good fit for Elixir.

I’m thinking of spawning a GenServer for each product configured with the sequence range and current value, so I can use it to generate the subsequent numbers.

I would persist the updated values to a DB to restore the processes in case of failure, and in case of needing some redundancy I could use something like libcluster + swarm to spread my GenServers across a cluster

Does this look right? Maybe I’m missing an obvious alternative, any pitfalls I might not be taking into account?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

ksuid generate unique, sortable id.

You could (post/)prepend with your product id if You want.

Now your solution with a Genserver per product could work… it depends how much do You sell, but if You sell too much You might have a bottleneck. It will not work that well in a distributed mode.

It depends also if You just want an increasing counter, or uuid style id.

emoragaf

emoragaf OP

I saw something like ksuid before, the problem is that we need the ids to be inside a particular range, so yeah an increasing counter. For example:

For product A we have the range 202043200000000 to 202043210000000, so the generated numbers would be:

  • 202043200000000
  • 202043200000001
  • 202043200000002
    …

For product B we could have a range of 13200500 to 20500000 so

  • 13200500
  • 13200501
  • 13200502
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I would probably have a look at erlang counters if I had to do the same task.

emoragaf

emoragaf OP

ty for the link, i’ll take a look

shanesveller

shanesveller

Do the counters / sequences need to be durable across BEAM restarts, or internally consistent across multiple BEAM nodes? Both of those are challenging with any of the ideas above. Some other questions that come to mind:

Do they need to be monotonic across all machines?
Are gaps permissible?
Are collisions disastrous?
Can you overflow a given product’s range?

Most of these point me towards solutions on the persistent storage rather than application code, i.e. a specialized use of Postgres sequences or similar.

I’d also be curious what real-world or business constraints are at play here since the described technical limitations are unusual.

lalo2302

lalo2302

In my company we had the exact problem you have and we solved it using Postgres advisory locks:
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.4: Explicit Locking Point 13.3.5

So you don’t deal with the concurrency on your elixir application, but on the database level.

So let’s say you want to have a sequential number for product “A”, and 2 concurrent requests come

Request 1 and 2 concurrently:

    1. Comes in
    1. Comes in
    1. Sets advisory lock with id :erlang.crc32("A")
    1. Sets advisory lock with id :erlang.crc32("A")
    1. Lock is being used, I’ll wait until it is free
    1. Query count “A” => returns 2
    1. Inserts new record with 3
    1. Finishes transaction and releases lock
    1. Lock is available, I can proceed
    1. Query count “A” => returns 3
    1. Inserts new record with 4

I hope I was explicit enough. Using postgres takes away you a lot of headaches. You don’t need to worry about if your new GenServer is a bottle neck, or if you deploy on a cluster how should you manage your processes.

emoragaf

emoragaf OP

The counters should be durable and consistent.

Having gaps is permissible but not ideal

Collisions are a big problem

Overflowing a range should not be an issue (range >>> sale volume)

My first thought was using something like Postgres sequences, but then I thought that having it on application could be a good fit and also help bring some devs in the team into the elixir world

Business constraints, in short we sell insurance policies, we have ranges of reserved policy numbers for different products from different companies, so we are limited to those IDs for public facing documents

kreiling.io

kreiling.io

@emoragaf I just had similar requirements pop up in my project and I’m wondering if you chose an application-oriented solution?

I currently cluster my Elixir project using libcluster+swarm so I think I can pull this off in pure Elixir/Erlang using globally-named processes. But I’m not looking to reinvent the wheel :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

edit: fixed a typo

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

If you use a database like postgreSQL, you can use an auto-incremented sequence.
The problem of using a OTP process is you will still need to serialize it in storage or you will start from 1 again once the cluster reboot. With serialization come with all the ACID problems, so you will be looking precisely at reinventing the wheel.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This will not provide the properties that the OP wants. auto-incrementing sequences do not guarantee sequential ids in records. Sequences are non transactional, so if you open a transaction, insert a record (which increments the sequence), and then rollback the transaction, the sequence is still incremented.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews