kasparinho

kasparinho

Bin Counting elements in a collection by updating a counter map is much slower than first grouping the elements by bin and then count each bin.

I would be curious to learn why. My intuition was the opposite, as the ‘reduce’ approach requires only one pass through the input collection.

Example:

iex> range = 1..1_000_000
iex> is_even? = fn x -> rem(x,2) == 0 end

iex> Enum.reduce(range, %{}, fn elem, acc -> Map.update(acc, is_even?.(elem), 1, &(&1 + 1)) end)
%{false: 500000, true: 500000}

is much slower than

iex> Enum.group_by(range, &is_even?.(&1)) |> Map.new(fn {key, list} -> {key, length(list)} end)
%{false: 500000, true: 500000}

Showing Posts 1 to 5

arnomi

arnomi

My best guess is that the map lookup is the factor that slows down the ‘reduce’ approach. Although you need to traverse the list only once, you need to perform a key lookup on every item. With the group_by approach on the other hand, might have the group lookup better optimized (although I cannot think of a much better optimization out of hand than using a map for looking up the group..)

On my system the difference is, however, also not that significant. The ‘reduce’ approach is about 1.2 times slower…

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

For reference, here’s the implementation of group_by:

  def group_by(enumerable, key_fun, value_fun \\ fn x -> x end)

  def group_by(enumerable, key_fun, value_fun) when is_function(key_fun) do
    reduce(reverse(enumerable), %{}, fn entry, acc ->
      key = key_fun.(entry)
      value = value_fun.(entry)

      case acc do
        %{^key => existing} -> Map.put(acc, key, [value | existing])
        %{} -> Map.put(acc, key, [value])
      end
    end)
  end

I too am surprised that this is faster, especially since group_by reverses the list, adding another iteration.

arnomi

arnomi

Hm.. the following benchmark now shows a different result…

is_even? = fn x -> rem(x, 2) == 0 end

Benchee.run(
  %{
    "reduce" => fn range ->
      Enum.reduce(range, %{}, fn elem, acc -> Map.update(acc, is_even?.(elem), 1, &(&1 + 1)) end)
    end,
    "group" => fn range ->
      Enum.group_by(range, &is_even?.(&1)) |> Map.new(fn {key, list} -> {key, length(list)} end)
    end
  },
  inputs: %{
    "Range" => 1..1_000_000
  }
)
##### With input Range #####
Name             ips        average  deviation         median         99th %
reduce          4.65      215.08 ms    ±12.47%      209.29 ms      338.53 ms
group           2.47      405.21 ms    ±18.65%      411.79 ms      552.56 ms

Comparison:
reduce          4.65
group           2.47 - 1.88x slower +190.13 ms

So your original hunch, might be correct after all.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Make sure you are measuring with something like Benchee and not measuring iex. code constructed in iex is interpreted, which means it will run slower.

kasparinho

kasparinho OP

Indeed, it appears that when running in iex, the ‘group_by’ version gets an unfair advantage, probably because it gets to use a compiled reduce loop behind the scenes, while the ‘reduce’ version has an interpreted reduce loop.

Thank you for your help!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews