brainlid

brainlid

Dialyzer is a tool that you’ve probably heard about in the Elixir community. You may have even used it. However, adding Dialyzer to an existing project can feel overwhelming when you see the wall of red and have 100s of errors. Hitting that resistance can turn people right around, running for the door. Noah Betzen shows us how adding Dialyzer doesn’t have to be scary. He walks us through the process on several existing public Elixir projects. He shares some tips and tricks that let us keep our productivity without getting overwhelmed.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

jhogberg

jhogberg

Erlang Core Team

but it’s worth mentioning that ignoring new errors is completely valid as well.

It’s also worth mentioning that dialyzer will not analyze beyond errors because that state is absurd and cannot be reasoned about: ignoring the error merely suppresses the message. This can suppress other errors or magically bring new and incredibly difficult ones into existence.

Warnings like those for constructing “improper” lists are safe to ignore, but I don’t recommend ignoring errors. By all means, feel free to tackle the problems one at a time, but shoving them under the rug by placing them in an ignore-file can make other errors needlessly difficult to diagnose. :confused:

kazlu

kazlu

I’ve been in discussions with my team about adding dialyzer to our codebase. I like the approach you outline in the article, however I do have a question. Let’s say we have a file that it’s ignored. Now, some code is added to that file and that new code has an error. Is there a way to have dialyzer warn about this? AFAICT we only have 2 options:

  1. Ignore specific lines. This seems like a maintenance nightmare as line numbers will have to be kept in sync.
  2. Ignore specific error types. This kind of works, but would break if the error is the same type as a previously ignored error.

Once we get to 0 errors, this will solve itself out, so I’m not super concerned, but I just wanted to get some input from the experts.

Thank you!

Nezteb

Nezteb

Let’s say we have a file that it’s ignored. Now, some code is added to that file and that new code has an error. Is there a way to have dialyzer warn about this?

One thing you can do is:

# .dialyzer_ignore.exs
[
  {"lib/something.ex", :no_return},
  {"lib/something.ex", :call},
]

Now, if you introduce new errors to lib/something.ex, as long as it isn’t a :no_return or :call error, it will still get caught. However, if you do add a new :no_return error to the file, it will get ignored unfortunately.

Another option is to use regex patterns (which I’ve not experimented with much), like so:

# .dialyzer_ignore.exs
[
  ~r/my_file\.ex.*my_function.*no local return/
]

With this, you could refine the ignored error to a specific function/error combination.

However, I created a PR to add a more strict ignore file format, and it’s been merged. It should come out in the next release of dialyxir.

Also, one helpful method to partially address the weaknesses of the ignore method that @jhogberg pointed out is:

  1. Delete all ignored lines from the .dialyzer_ignore.exs file.
  2. Run mix dialyzer again.
  3. Fix whatever errors you can (or are willing to). Maybe isolate your quest to a single file/module at a time.
  4. Regenerate an ignore file and add those lines to the ignore file again. This should hopefully now be a smaller file than it was previously.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
andreasronge
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ? Wrote a blog on why and what that enables. As I see ...
New
zorn
:pencil: Phoenix’s built-in LiveView test helpers require you to hand-build the form payload and start a fresh pipe after every click. Wo...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews