brentjanderson

brentjanderson

We recently performed a zero downtime Postgres upgrade at Knock. This blog post goes into details about the Postgres considerations, although the BEAM & Elixir ecosystem were invaluable in managing the cutover process.

Some Elixir-related bits:

  1. We used DynamicSupervisor to start/stop Oban during the cutover. Without going into too much detail, Oban needs a Notifier to coordinate global state, and we rely on the default Postgres notifier (Although there is a new PubSub notifier that we have our eyes on). This Notifier establishes a persistent Postgres connection that is managed outside of your Ecto Repo, and the easiest way to move Oban over to the new instance was to stop and restart it with a new configuration using DynamicSupervisor
  2. Metaprogramming made it easier to build facade interfaces to our Ecto Repos so that database requests could be routed to the old or new database instance, based on the state of a launch darkly flag. Internally, LD uses ETS and a persistent websocket connection, which helps lookups be fast and up to date. ETS is still not quite fast enough for the volume of DB queries in our system, and so we also used :persistent_term to set the flag that determined what state we were in during the cutover process. Benchee helped us verify that we weren’t going to have a performance regression.
  3. We looked at Ecto Repo’s get_dynamic_repo function, but determined that using a facade was a better fit for our use case. It’s worth knowing what’s available, though, since Ecto comes with a lot of extensibility out of the box.
  4. The concurrency model of the BEAM makes it so much easier to reason about all of the stuff involved in a migration like this. Although you can take a similar approach with most languages, the BEAM didn’t get in the way of reasoning through the specifics of the cutover, especially around how we maintain uptime and data consistency during a cutover like this.

We may do a full post on the BEAM-related details of this upgrade in the future.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
andreasronge
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ? Wrote a blog on why and what that enables. As I see ...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
tomazbracic
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews