Blog Series on Building & Deploying an Elixir Application

Hey there,

I’ve started a little blog series about building and deploying Elixir applications. Now I would like to share with you the first entry in the series, which is a simple guide to automated testing (i. e. Continuous Integration) using Bitbucket Pipelines and Docker:

Please let me know if you find the post useful and if you’d like to see more articles like this one :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Very informative :+1:! I like using bitbucket because they offer free unlimited private repos, but I hadn’t really paid much attention to their other features so I’ll definitely give this workflow a go in my next project.

I’ll be looking forward to your upcoming posts, especially the one about using CloudFoundry, very curious about that.

Yeah that’s why I’ve been using BitBucket for many many years. I have a lot of repo’s on it… It mostly replaced my old SVN server (which is still running to this day, I should fix that…). ^.^;

BitBucket’s server is available to run on your own servers too for note.

Only thing I wish is if BitBucket’s UI was changed in a few specific ways though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Three days late, here is my second post in the series!

Before I will go into the specifics of creating Releases and Docker deployments and all that, I thought it would be best to just lay out the basics first.

So, if you have ever wondered what exactly Elixir Releases are and why so many people are hyped up about Docker, check out my new article:

5 Likes

Without any further ado, here is the next post in my series about Elixir deployment.

This time, I have written a (pretty) comprehensive tutorial about how to use create Releases with Distillery:

4 Likes

I completely forgot to post my latest entry to the series here. After a lot of research I created a guide for creating deployment-ready Docker containers of Elixir applications:

Feedback (here or over on Medium) is very welcome!

2 Likes

Now this new entry might seem like it’s a bit off-topic because it doesn’t directly involve Elixir. However, monitoring and a status page should also be considered for every Elixir deployment.

And I think this pairing - Elixir application + AWS Lambda Status page/monitoring - makes perfect sense:

1. Monitoring and status page run independently from your Elixir/Erlang infrastructure
  2. You can keep your non-Elixir code to a minimum :slight_smile:

So check out my take on Why everybody needs a status page!

https://medium.com/@pentacent/build-a-great-status-page-in-15-minutes-with-no-budget-98257f67aef1

Feedback here or on Medium is very welcome :heart::speech_balloon:

1 Like