Broadway kafka producer not getting all partition assignment from Upstash Kafka

My understanding is that this is an upstash issue. I have a topic with 3 partitions but I only get assignment for 2 partitions. Below is my broadway code. Is there anything in the config that could be causing this missing partition assignment ?

defmodule Maverick.Broadway.Upstash do
  @moduledoc """
  The Upstash Kafka context.
  """
  use Broadway

alias Maverick.Whatsapp.Message, as: WhatsappMessage

def upstash_kafka_port(), do: Application.fetch_env!(:maverick, :upstash_kafka_port)
  def upstash_kafka_endpoint(), do: Application.fetch_env!(:maverick, :upstash_kafka_endpoint)
  def upstash_kafka_hosts(), do: [{upstash_kafka_endpoint(), upstash_kafka_port()}]

def upstash_kafka_authentication(),
    do:
      {Application.fetch_env!(
         :maverick,
         :upstash_kafka_sasl_mechanism
       ), Application.fetch_env!(:maverick, :upstash_kafka_username),
       Application.fetch_env!(:maverick, :upstash_kafka_password)}

def upstash_kafka_group_id(), do: "localhost-00"
  def upstash_kafka_topic(), do: "localhost"
  def producer_concurrency(), do: 2
  def processors_concurrency(), do: 10

def start_link(_opts) do
    Broadway.start_link(__MODULE__,
      name: __MODULE__,
      producer: [
        module:
          {BroadwayKafka.Producer,
           [
             hosts: upstash_kafka_hosts(),
             group_id: upstash_kafka_group_id(),
             topics: [upstash_kafka_topic()],
             offset_reset_policy: :earliest,
             client_id_prefix: "localhost-maverick",
             client_config: [
               sasl: upstash_kafka_authentication(),
               ssl: [
                 # from CAStore package
                 cacertfile: CAStore.file_path(),
                 verify_type: :verify_peer,
                 customize_hostname_check: [
                   match_fun: :public_key.pkix_verify_hostname_match_fun(:https)
                 ]
               ]
             ]
           ]},
        concurrency: producer_concurrency()
      ],
      processors: [
        default: [
          concurrency: processors_concurrency()
        ]
      ]
    )
  end

a new topic with 4 partitions got all partition assignments for now seem odd partition count is the problem, could the broadway config in any way be playing a part in this ?

I think the issue here is producer concurrency set to 2, and not 3.

Broadway producers are processes that connect to Kafka and fetch messages, one per partition.

I though about that but than how come I can get 4 partitions for 2 producer. Also shouldn’t the producer count be equal to the number of cores as its a process ? Whats the general rule of thumb , odd producers for odd no. of partition and even for even ? Also what if I have multiple topics in a single broadway producer, is that a bad practice as they can have odd or even partitions.

Now I am getting 2 partition assigment only where I was getting all 4 before with each producer assigned 2 partitions

When I match the number producer to the partition can see that two producer didn’t receive any assignemnt they are [].

Sorry, I was wrong in my previous message:

https://hexdocs.pm/broadway_kafka/BroadwayKafka.Producer.html#module-concurrency-and-partitioning

You should be fine with your original configuration, I don’t know what is the issue.

Regarding your other question - Erlang processes are lightweight processes and are not limited by the number of cores.