basvanwesting

basvanwesting

Hi,

I’m using BroadwayRabbitMQ.Producer to read from a RabbitMQ queue and handle the messages. However, I’m having trouble redirecting to a dead-letter queue for failed messages. In the docs it is mentioned several times, but never implemented in an example. And I simply can’t find any example on the internet as well.

I can flag the message as failed in handle_message/3 with Broadway.Message.failed/2. The message then ends up in handle_failed/2, where I want to redirect it to the dead-letter exchange/queue. There are two steps as far as I understand:

  1. ACK to the original queue
  2. Send to the dead-letter queue/exchange

I would expect to be able to reuse the existing connection to RabbitMQ to redirect to the dead-letter queue/exchange somehow.

The queues are setup as follows:

    with {:ok, queue_base} = Application.fetch_env(:amqp, :some_named_queue),
         {:ok, connection_options} = Application.fetch_env(:amqp, :connection_options),
         {:ok, conn} <- Connection.open(connection_options),
         {:ok, chan} <- Channel.open(conn),
         {:ok, _} <- Queue.declare(chan, "#{queue_base}_error", durable: true),
         # Messages that cannot be delivered to any consumer in the main queue will be routed to the error queue
         {:ok, _} <- Queue.declare(chan, queue_base,
           durable: true,
           arguments: [
             {"x-dead-letter-exchange", :longstr, ""},
             {"x-dead-letter-routing-key", :longstr, "#{queue_base}_error"}
           ]
         ),
         :ok <- Exchange.fanout(chan, "#{queue_base}_exchange", durable: true),
         :ok <- Queue.bind(chan, queue_base, "#{queue_base}_exchange") do
      :ok
    end

Thanks, Bas

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benonymus

benonymus

This is probably very late, but you need to nack the message not ack

basvanwesting

basvanwesting OP

Thanks! Better late than never :slight_smile:

So simple NACK-ing the message triggers the dead-letter queue routing. Seems quite obvious in hindsight… I try it out!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews