ravecat

ravecat

Implement complex logic for multi-tenancy solution: create team → create schema → run migration on new schema. Found a thread and a mention in Triplex documentation and moved the migrations from the transaction. Method look like

  def create_team(attrs \\ %{}) do
    changeset =
      %Team{}
      |> change(%{uid: generate_token(type: :schema)})
      |> Team.changeset(attrs)

    Multi.new()
    |> Multi.insert(:team, changeset)
    |> Multi.run(:schema, fn repo, %{team: team} ->
      Triplex.create_schema(team.uid, repo)
    end)
    |> Repo.transaction()
    |> case do
      {:ok, %{team: team}} ->
        {:ok, _} = Triplex.migrate(team.uid)

        {:ok, team}

      {:error, _, reason, _} ->
        {:error, reason}
    end
  end

It work flawless inside iex

iex(97)> Runa.Teams.create_team(%{title: “test”})
[debug] QUERY OK db=0.4ms idle=1327.3ms
begin
↳ Runa.Teams.create_team/1, at: lib/domains/teams/teams.ex:82
[debug] QUERY OK source=“teams” db=0.5ms
INSERT INTO “teams” (“title”,“uid”,“inserted_at”,“updated_at”) VALUES ($1,$2,$3,$4) RETURNING “id” [“test”, “nm8qnu26poykd2y02e0dup5wnf168qz2”, ~U[2024-05-20 17:55:36Z], ~U[2024-05-20 17:55:36Z]]
↳ Runa.Teams.create_team/1, at: lib/domains/teams/teams.ex:82
[debug] QUERY OK db=0.1ms
CREATE SCHEMA “nm8qnu26poykd2y02e0dup5wnf168qz2”
[debug] QUERY OK db=14.5ms
commit
↳ Runa.Teams.create_team/1, at: lib/domains/teams/teams.ex:82
[info] == Running 20240420161100 Runa.Repo.Migrations.CreateContributors.up/0 forward
[info] execute “CREATE TABLE nm8qnu26poykd2y02e0dup5wnf168qz2.contributors (\n id serial PRIMARY KEY,\n user_id integer REFERENCES public.users(id) ON DELETE CASCADE NOT NULL,\n team_id integer REFERENCES public.teams(id) ON DELETE CASCADE NOT NULL,\n role_id integer REFERENCES public.roles(id) ON DELETE CASCADE NOT NULL,\n inserted_at timestamp NOT NULL,\n updated_at timestamp NOT NULL\n);\n”
[info] execute “CREATE UNIQUE INDEX contributors_user_id_team_id_role_id_index\nON nm8qnu26poykd2y02e0dup5wnf168qz2.contributors (user_id, team_id, role_id);\n”
[info] == Migrated 20240420161100 in 0.0s
[info] == Running 20240520093137 Runa.Repo.Migrations.CreateProjectsTable.up/0 forward
[info] create table nm8qnu26poykd2y02e0dup5wnf168qz2.projects
[info] == Migrated 20240520093137 in 0.0s
{:ok,
%Runa.Teams.Team{
meta: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, “teams”>,
id: 53,
title: “test”,
uid: “nm8qnu26poykd2y02e0dup5wnf168qz2”,
team_roles: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded,
users: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded,
inserted_at: ~U[2024-05-20 17:55:36Z],
updated_at: ~U[2024-05-20 17:55:36Z]
}}

But inside test in returns error, I use create_project inside the fixture and create a entity, schema and migrations before each test

as I see it migrations cannot be performed in a test environment, but Triplex.exists?(team.uid) return true, Triplex.migrate("public") return {:ok, _}

  1. test projects returns all projects (Runa.ProjectsTest)
    test/domains/projects_test.exs:16
    ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, “could not checkout the connection owned by pid<0.610.0>. When using the sandbox, connections are shared, so this may imply another process is using a connection. Reason: connection not available and request was dropped from queue after 822ms. You can configure how long requests wait in the queue using :queue_target and :queue_interval. See DBConnection.start_link/2 for more information”}
    stacktrace:
    (runa 0.1.0) lib/domains/teams/teams.ex:71: Runa.Teams.create_team/1
    (runa 0.1.0) test/support/fixtures/teams_fixtures.ex:25: Runa.TeamsFixtures.create_aux_team/1
    Runa.ProjectsTest.__ex_unit_describe_0/1

Is this a Triplex problem or a test environment problem?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ashrafhasson

ashrafhasson

Hi @ravecat I’ve stumbled upon this too but not the testing part. I didn’t think this would work in iex (or in a transaction) but then it seems it’s only Triplex.create that cannot run inside of a transaction since Ecto 3 :thinking:

However, running the Triplex.create_schema this way inside a multi transaction means it may leave unclean teams’ schemas should the Triplex.migrate fail later on.
If you use the Triplex.create_schema func argument to wrap the transaction instead, you might be able to avoid that side effect.

Regarding the failure in your test, I wonder whether your fixture is spawning a process that’s not dropping the connection before it’s checked out again by the test process? It would be useful to share your fixture and test code here. Also a total speculation is whether you have multiple of these tests in different modules with async turned on ..

ashrafhasson

ashrafhasson

and apparently Sandboxed SQL in tests share the connection with the parent process while transaction spawned functions will not be part of the parent process and will hold their own connection (if they can?)

The transaction is per process. A separate process started inside a transaction won’t be part of the same transaction and will use a separate connection altogether.

.. the parent process will typically hold the connection until the transaction completes. This may lead to a deadlock if the child process attempts to use the same connection.

So maybe your test is getting stuck in that deadlock?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews