richjdsmith

richjdsmith

Anyone willing to explain to me how to include the Bulma CSS Framework with Brunch? I haven’t warped my head around brunch yet. Here’s what I have done so far.

  1. Installed sass-brunch
    $ cd assets && npm install --save sass-brunch

  2. Installed bulma
    $ npm install --save bulma

  3. Removed bootstrap
    $ echo "" > css/phoenix.css

  4. Added sass-brunch to my Brunch Config (I think this is where I went wrong)
    Gist to brunch-config (how do I embed?)

Summary
exports.config = {
  // See http://brunch.io/#documentation for docs.
  files: {
    javascripts: {
      joinTo: "js/app.js"

      // To use a separate vendor.js bundle, specify two files path
      // http://brunch.io/docs/config#-files-
      // joinTo: {
      //   "js/app.js": /^js/,
      //   "js/vendor.js": /^(?!js)/
      // }
      //
      // To change the order of concatenation of files, explicitly mention here
      // order: {
      //   before: [
      //     "vendor/js/jquery-2.1.1.js",
      //     "vendor/js/bootstrap.min.js"
      //   ]
      // }
    },
    stylesheets: {
      joinTo: "css/app.css"
    },
    templates: {
      joinTo: "js/app.js"
    }
  },

  conventions: {
    // This option sets where we should place non-css and non-js assets in.
    // By default, we set this to "/assets/static". Files in this directory
    // will be copied to `paths.public`, which is "priv/static" by default.
    assets: /^(static)/
  },

  // Phoenix paths configuration
  paths: {
    // Dependencies and current project directories to watch
    watched: ["static", "css", "scss", "js", "vendor"],
    // Where to compile files to
    public: "../priv/static"
  },

  // Configure your plugins
  plugins: {
    babel: {
      // Do not use ES6 compiler in vendor code
      ignore: [/vendor/]
    },
    sass: {
      includePaths: ['node_modules/bulma/']
    }
  },

  modules: {
    autoRequire: {
      "js/app.js": ["js/app"]
    }
  },

  npm: {
    enabled: true
  }
};
  1. Renamed app.css to app.scss
    $ cd assets/css; mv app.css app.scss

  2. Imported Bulma into my app.scss
    @import "bulma";

  3. Added a folder for my scss files
    $ mkdir assets/scss $ touch assets/scss/custom.scss

  4. Just added some dummy code to my new custom.scss
    @import "../node_modules/bulma/sass/utilities/initial-variables"; $primary: $red

  5. Added my custom css to app.scss below the import for bulma.
    @import "../scss/custom";

I did all this following instructions from @kaputse (whom it appears is on here! :D)

Unfortunately, doing all this, compiling of css/app.scss failed :frowning:

[debug] Processing with LaterReviewWeb.PageController.index/2
  Parameters: %{}
  Pipelines: [:browser]
[info] Sent 200 in 352µs
18:08:27 - info: Reloading watcher...
(node:33658) MaxListenersExceededWarning: Possible EventEmitter memory leak detected. 11 SIGTERM listeners added. Use emitter.setMaxListeners() to increase limit
18:08:29 - error: Compiling of css/app.scss failed. L2:1:
   File to import not found or unreadable: bulma
   Parent style sheet: /Users/richsmith/later_review/assets/css/app.scss Error: File to import not found or unreadable: bulma
          Parent style sheet: /Users/richsmith/later_review/assets/css/app.scss

   >> @import "bulma";
      ^
Stack trace was suppressed. Run with `LOGGY_STACKS=1` to see the trace.
[debug] Live reload: priv/static/js/app.js
[debug] Live reload: priv/static/js/app.js 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and hopefully this can solve the issue for others. Cheers!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

If using scss make sure to list the proper import directories in the scss plugin configuration. :slight_smile:

richjdsmith

richjdsmith OP

Sorry for being a bit daft, but do you mind giving me an example? Should I be using:

  // Configure your plugins
  plugins: {
    babel: {
      // Do not use ES6 compiler in vendor code
      ignore: [/vendor/]
    },
    sass: {
      includePaths: ['node_modules/bulma/sass']
                                   //HERE? ^
    }
  },
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Something like that should work, but currently in the project that I’m still using brunch in I’m just using:

  plugins: {
    // ...other plugin configurationss here...
    cleancss: {
      level: 0, // level 1+ breaks the CSS, the fonts vanish, some blocks vanish, wtf...
    },
    sass: {
      options: {
        includePaths: [
          'node_modules'
        ]
        // debug: 'comments', // 'debug',
      },
      allowCache: true,
      sourceMapEmbed: true,
      precision: 8,
      modules: false
    },
    postcss: {
      processors: [
        require('autoprefixer')(['last 8 versions']),
        require('csswring')({
          // preserveHacks: true,
          // removeAllComments: true,
        })
      ]
    },
    // ...and still more configurations...
  },

Then I use the full ‘project’ path to it. I found it helps keep things obvious of what comes from where. ^.^

cpgo

cpgo

I did this quite a while ago so I don’t know if its working
https://github.com/cpgo/authen

dwyd

dwyd

The following configuration worked for me when I added Bulma to a Phoenix 1.3 project… your npm steps look correct at a glance. Make sure sass and bulma are in node_modules.

package.json should have something similar after NPM install

# ./assets/package.json
{
...
  "dependencies": {
...
    "bulma": "^0.5.0",
...
  },
  "devDependencies": {
...
    "sass-brunch": "^2.10.4",
...
  }
}

Update brunch-config.js

# ./assets/brunch-config.js
exports.config = {
  files: {
    stylesheets: {
...
      joinTo: "css/app.css",
      order: {
        after: [ "css/app.scss"]
      }
    },
...
  },

...

  // Configure your plugins
  plugins: {
...
    sass: {
      mode: 'native',
      options: {
        includePaths: ['node_modules/bulma']
      }
    }
  },
...
};

Add app.scss to ./assets/css/

# ./assets/css/app.scss
@import "bulma";

You can do all your overrides in app.scss

Compile the app

iex -S mix phx.server

richjdsmith

richjdsmith OP

Sorry to be such a bother, but I am still getting:

22:46:54 - info: compiled 6 files into 2 files, copied 3 in 1.9 sec 22:46:54 - error: Cannot read property 'verbose' of undefined

This is my app.scss:

/* This file is for your main application css. */
@import "bulma";

My app.css is empty.

Here is my package.json:

  "dependencies": {
    "phoenix": "file:../deps/phoenix",
    "phoenix_html": "file:../deps/phoenix_html"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "bulma": "^0.6.0",
    "babel-brunch": "6.1.1",
    "brunch": "2.10.9",
    "clean-css-brunch": "2.10.0",
    "copycat-brunch": "^1.1.0",
    "sass-brunch": "^2.10.4",
    "uglify-js-brunch": "2.10.0"
  }

and the important bits from my brunch-config:

...
},
    stylesheets: {
      joinTo: "css/app.css",
      order: {
        after: [ "css/app.scss"]
      }
    },
...

  // Configure your plugins
  plugins: {
    babel: {
      // Do not use ES6 compiler in vendor code
      ignore: [/vendor/]
    },
    sass: {
      mode: 'native',
      options: {
        includePaths: ['node_modules/bulma']
      }
    }
  },
...

Any ideas?

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

I just set bulma + phoenix 1.3 up a couple of days ago and I followed this gist:

But replaced bootstrap with bulma.

With the exception that my app.scss looks like this:

@import "node_modules/bulma/bulma";

and my brunch config sass option looks like this:

  plugins: {
    babel: {
      // Do not use ES6 compiler in vendor code
      ignore: [/vendor/]
    },
    sass: {
        options: {
            includePaths: ["node_modules/bulma/sass"],
            precision: 8
        }
    }
  },
dwyd

dwyd

Can you try changing this…

to this…

after: [ "css/app.sass"]

but leave the actual file like this css/app.scss?

richjdsmith

richjdsmith OP

It made no difference.

Still getting:
23:36:28 - error: Cannot read property 'verbose' of undefined Stack trace was suppressed. Run with LOGGY_STACKS=1 to see the trace.

:confused:

richjdsmith

richjdsmith OP

I also tried deleting node_modules and npm install’ing again to no avail.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews