amedeo

amedeo

Hi,
I’m working on a Elixir/Phoenix small project in my spare time and I found myself writing code to build a tree structure starting from a list of nodes.

Here is the input:

[
%{id: 1, children: [], parent_id: nil},
%{id: 2, children: [3], parent_id: nil},
%{id: 3, children: [], parent_id: 2}
]

and the expected output:

%TreeNode{
   id: "ROOT",
   children: [
      %TreeNode{
           id: 1,
           parent_id: "ROOT"
           children: []
      },
      %TreeNode{
           id: 2,
           parent_id: "ROOT"
           children: [
               %TreeNode{
                   id: 3,
                   parent_id: 2
                   children: []
                }
           ]
      }
  ],
  parent_id: nil
}

I’ve come to the following implementation but it is quite long and I’ve the feeling that it could be written in a different way.
Do you have some idea or suggestions on how to write it?

defmodule TestTree do

  defmodule TreeNode do
    defstruct id: nil, children: [], parent_id: nil
  end

  @_ROOT_NODE "ROOT"

  def build_tree(list) do
    # use the build_hierarchy to get two Maps as support data for the next step
    {id_to_nodes, id_to_children} = build_hierarchy(list, %{@_ROOT_NODE=>%TreeNode{id: @_ROOT_NODE}}, %{@_ROOT_NODE=>[]})
    # build the tree
    build_tree(Map.keys(id_to_nodes), id_to_nodes, id_to_children)
  end

  # Creates two Maps:
  # one Map keeps the information on Id -> %TreeNode
  # the other Map is an Id -> [ /child id 1/, /child id 2/, ...]
  defp build_hierarchy([], a, b), do: {a, b}
  defp build_hierarchy([m | nodes], id_to_nodes, id_to_children) do
    parent_key = m.parent_id || @_ROOT_NODE

    new_node = %TreeNode{ id: m.id, parent_id: parent_key}

    id_to_nodes = Map.put_new(id_to_nodes, m.id, new_node)

    # update the parent children
    id_to_children = Map.put_new_lazy(id_to_children, parent_key, fn -> [] end)
    children = id_to_children[parent_key]
    id_to_children = %{id_to_children | parent_key => [new_node.id | children]}

    build_hierarchy(nodes, id_to_nodes, id_to_children)
  end


  # the function will build the tree (tail) recursively examining each node_id
  # if the current node has no children then it is added to the parent node
  # if the node has children then its processing is postponed, we need first to take care of the ones without children
  defp build_tree([@_ROOT_NODE], id_to_nodes, _), do: id_to_nodes[@_ROOT_NODE]
  defp build_tree([node_id | node_ids], id_to_nodes, id_to_children) do
    node = id_to_nodes[node_id]
    parent_id = node.parent_id
    children = Map.get(id_to_children, node_id, [])
    if length(children) > 0 do
      # node not ready yet, it has some children
      build_tree(node_ids ++ [node_id], id_to_nodes, id_to_children)
    else
      # the node has no children let's add it to its parent children and remove it from the id_to_children
      parent_node = id_to_nodes[parent_id]
      id_to_nodes = %{id_to_nodes | parent_id => %{parent_node | children: [node | parent_node.children]}}
      id_to_children = %{id_to_children | parent_id => List.delete(id_to_children[parent_id], node_id)}
      build_tree(node_ids, id_to_nodes, id_to_children)
    end
  end

end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

That depends largely on the data. If the data is sorted (as in the sample you provided), it can be transformed using the following:

def build_tree(elements) do
  {tree, []} = build_tree(elements, %TreeNode{id: nil, children: []})
  tree
end

defp build_tree([%{parent_id: parent, id: id, children: _} | rest], 
                %{id: parent, children: children} = tree) do
  {node, rest} = build_tree(rest, %TreeNode{id: id, children: []})
  build_tree(rest, %{tree | children: [node | children]})
end
defp build_tree(rest, tree), do: {tree, rest}
amedeo

amedeo OP

:open_mouth: awesome! and beautiful.

Sry, I forgot about the ordering, I have it on the parent_id, nil firsts, but I’ll do a pass of sorting before calling the new build_tree :smiley:

Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews