nathanl

nathanl

Is it possible to build a union type from a list? For example, something like:

defmodule HatEnum do
  @variants [:bowler, :sombrero]

  # duplicated knowledge.
  # declare this based on @variants instead?
  @type t :: :bowler | :sombrero

  @spec name(t()) :: String.t()
  def name(variant) when variant in @variants do
    variant
    |> to_string()
    |> String.capitalize()
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 5

freevova

freevova

It seems that no. You can check this comment.

nathanl

nathanl OP

@josevalim Is it possible to do this with a macro? If not, might this be worth supporting in the language?

  @variants [:bowler, :sombrero]
  @type t :: union_type(@variants)
ityonemo

ityonemo

It’s possible. It’s not pretty. It would look something like this:

requireT
T.make_union_type(:t, @variants)

(In another module T)

defmacro make_union_type(t, a2u) do

  {_, atom_list@} = Code.eval_quoted(a2u, __CALLER__)

  {:@, [], [:type, {:::, [], [t, unroll_atoms(atoms_list)]}]}

end

Unroll atoms is left as an exercise for the user but it takes a list of atoms and turns it into nested {:|, [], [•••, •••]} thruples.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I use the following approach:

  # Converts a list of atoms into a typespec
  type = &Enum.reduce(&1, fn x, acc -> {:|, [], [x, acc]} end)

  @grammatical_gender [
    :animate,
    :inanimate,
    :personal,
    :common,
    :feminine,
    :masculine,
    :neuter
  ]
  @type grammatical_gender :: unquote(type.(@grammatical_gender))
11
Post #4
ityonemo

ityonemo

Oh, damn the unquote trick!! Beautiful

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews