moxley

moxley

I’m building a module that builds up an Ash.Query from parameters. I want it to be able to “OR” two queries together, like this:

left_query = build_query(Member2, left_params)
right_query = build_query(Member2, right_params)

query = Ash.Query.filter(Member2, ^left_query or ^right_query)

But this doesn’t work. The resulting query is:

#Ash.Query<resource: Member2, filter: #Ash.Filter<true>>

This will always return all records.

How do I correctly compose a query from other queries?


Additionally, I don’t know what an Ash.Filter is. The full description in the documentation is “The representation of a filter in Ash.” I don’t know how Ash.Filter relates to Ash.Query. They seem to be related, but the documentation doesn’t appear to mention how they relate. There is no section in the Ash HQ Tutorials for Ash.Filter or Ash.Query.

The intro documentation for Ash.Filter includes this example:

Ash.Query.filter(resource, name == "Zardoz")
Ash.Query.filter(resource, first_name == "Zar" and last_name == "Doz")
Ash.Query.filter(resource, first_name == "Zar" and last_name in ["Doz", "Daz"] and high_score > 10)
Ash.Query.filter(resource, first_name == "Zar" or last_name == "Doz" or (high_score > 10 and high_score < -10))

There is another example of Ash.Query.filter() further down, but no explanation of the relation between Ash.Query and Ash.Filter.

Ash.Query.filter() returns an %Ash.Query{} struct, not an Ash.Filter. The documentation for Ash.Query.filter() contains the sentence “The filter is applied as an “and” to any filters currently on the query. For more information on writing filters, see: Ash.Filter.”. So the documentation says there’s is a link between the two modules, but doesn’t explain how, or what that link is.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Hey there! Sorry it took a while to get back to you. In Ash, we compose “expressions” to do this kind of building, as opposed to composing full queries. For example:

import Ash.Expr

defp build_filter(map) do
  Enum.reduce(map, true, fn {key, value}, acc -> 
    expr(^acc and ^ref(:field) == ^value)
  end)
end

Then you could or these together with

left_filter = build_filter(left_params)
right_filter = build_filter(right_params)
filter = expr(^left_query or ^right_query)

Ash.Query.filter(query, ^filter)

With that said, Ash also has a thing for this. It is missing some docs on the exact format accepted, but that is just elbow grease to be applied:

{:ok, filter} = Ash.Filter.parse(Resource, %{or: [%{a: 1}, %{b: 2}]})
# or even more succinctly
Ash.Query.filter_input(query, %{or: [%{a: 1}, %{b: 2}]})

So if you can use our format for filters, then you should do that, but if not then you’d build your own with expressions.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

As for the documentation for that input format, I intend to document it very soon. It needs to have a json schema because it is the same format as the one use in AshJsonApi’s filter query parameter.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews