thomasbrus

thomasbrus

Hi all,

I’m curious how you would go about the following. I have integrated a React component (Select | Mantine) to select players for a fantasy league team.

This works well but the issue is that each select contains about 600 players and these selects are rendered 11 times on the page.

And since the options are calculated server side and passed to the DOM via data attribute this creates a huge payload and slows down the browser when loading the page.

I tried to turn the React select into a remote select where it fetches the options from the backend but it got really bug, I don’t think this specific 3rd party component is suitable for that use case.

I’m curious if anyone has implemented something similar and what the approach was. Basically I have two options in mind for now:

You’d think that in 2022 it is not so difficult to build a select such as this one but no :smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 9

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

You don’t need React for this. Just build the datalist server side, with the few letters typed by the user as the search criteria to filter down the list to a manageable size. This is one of the cases where Liveview’s live form validation really shines.

thomasbrus

thomasbrus OP

Ah yes, that is clever. I just checked out the phoenix live view demo.

Maybe I’m too picky I think it looks a bit too much like the standard Chrome autofill thing. Can’t seem to style it either.

I also need an ID to be set (in a hidden input) for form submission, rather than just the text. I suppose that’s doable though.

kartheek

kartheek

Like selects, datalists have fewer styling options available. You cannot style suggestions list.

One alternative to using dynamic selects is allowing user to select players from bigger list is -
popup with input search panel with table below and allowing users to search and select from there.

thomasbrus

thomasbrus OP

One alternative to using dynamic selects is allowing user to select players from bigger list is -
popup with input search panel with table below and allowing users to search and select from there.

Yes that is indeed an option. Although you would somehow need to connect the selected item in the modal back to the form / hidden input.

By the way, I just came across this post which is a bit more what I’m looking for:

My concern though is that there are certain frontend behaviours (such as clicking outside the dropdown to close it) that are not included in this blog post.

And I am not convinced the server should be contacted for such behaviour :thinking:

thomasbrus

thomasbrus OP

^ I just realized you can solve this client-side via phx-click-away and LiveView.JS :slight_smile:

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Do note that a major upside here is that precisely because it’s standard it will interact better with screen readers, mobile devices, and other accessibility tools.

thomasbrus

thomasbrus OP

For screen readers sure :slight_smile: Although on mobile it does not seem to work so well for the regular user.

benlime

benlime

That blog post is a little outdated (I’m the author) and today you could fully rely on LiveView.JS for handling the client side part. (I’m gonna revise this post at some time).

Do you add the serialised JSON into every instance of the autocomplete field? One approach how you could decrease the payload would be to save it in a simple script tag and store the reference inside the data attribute. Something like this:

<script>
  const __fantasyLeague = {
    players: '<%= Jason.decode!(players) %>',
  };
</script>

<div id="your-picker-1" data-players-ref="players" />
<div id="your-picker-2" data-players-ref="players" />

And then you can create your react component like this.

const players = JSON.parse(__fantasyLeague.players)
ReactDOM.render(<YourSelectComponent players={players} />)

This way you only send the list once and do not end up with gigantic data attributes. You have to load the data once eventually :wink: (if you don’t filter it on the server)

thomasbrus

thomasbrus OP

I ended up solving it via an async react-select, the react component from Mantine that I was using before just didn’t work well with async data. So that removes the issue of having to load the payload in the DOM initially.

But yes initially it would add the entire payload to every select.

Here is the react-select implementation that I ended up using in case anyone is interested:

<.remote_select form={f} field={:player1_id} url={player_options_url(@conn)} options={Map.fetch!(@player_options, :player1)} placeholder={select_player_placeholder()} />
... etc ...
  def remote_select(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <.form_field {form_field_assigns(assigns)} ><.remote_select_tag {remote_select_assigns(assigns)} /></.form_field>
    """
  end

  def remote_select_tag(assigns) do
    assigns =
      assigns
      |> assign(:error, error?(assigns.form, assigns.field))

    ~H"""
    <.react controller="remote-select" props={extra_attributes(assigns)}>
      <%= Phoenix.HTML.Form.hidden_input(@form, @field, data: [remote_select_target: "input"]) %>
      <div data-remote-select-target="component"></div>
    </.react>
    """
  end

react/1 is a simple functional component that adds a div with display: contents, adds a Stimulus data-controller attribute and serializes props (converting underscore to camelcase, and so on.)

The remote-select Stimulus controller:

import { Controller } from '@hotwired/stimulus';

export default class extends Controller {
    static values = { props: Object };
    static targets = ['input', 'component'];

    connect() {
      ReactDOM.render(
        <RemoteSelect {...this.propsValue} defaultValue={this.defaultValue} onChange={this.handleChange} />,
        this.componentTarget
      );
    }

    disconnect() {
      ReactDOM.unmountComponentAtNode(this.componentTarget);
    }

    handleChange = (option) => {
      // prettier-ignore
      this.inputTarget.value = option === null ? '' : [].concat(option).map(o => o.value).join(',');
    };

    get defaultValue() {
      return this.propsValue.options.find((option) => option.value == this.inputTarget.value);
    }
  };

Notice how it concatenates values via ‘,’ in a single hidden input (in case multiple options are selected).

And finally the react component:

import React from 'react';
import AsyncSelect from 'react-select/async';
import { withTheme, withDefaults } from './react_select';

function RemoteSelect({ url, options, ...restProps }) {
  const loadOptions = (query) => {
    const remoteUrl = new URL(url);
    remoteUrl.searchParams.set('query', query);
    return fetch(remoteUrl.toString()).then((response) => response.json());
  };

  return (
    <AsyncSelect
      {...restProps}
      defaultOptions={options}
      noOptionsMessage={({ inputValue }) => (inputValue ? `Geen resultaten voor "${inputValue}"` : 'Type om te zoeken')}
      loadOptions={loadOptions}
    />
  );
}

export default withTheme(withDefaults(RemoteSelect));

Not much special going on here either except that it uses the url property to perform the async request :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews