Building a Programming Language in Elixir

Hey all! I’m about to start building a language in Elixir just for fun / learning purposes, and thought I’d make a post here in case:

1. Anyone wants to work on this with me (I’m super open to ideas)
  2. Anyone has a reference to an existing language built in elixir

I tried looking for languages that are built with elixir and couldn’t find anything so it seems like this would be the first project to do so.

1 Like

@OvermindDL1 is your hero for such a project. :wink:

1 Like

Might be somewhat relevant:

1 Like

You should check out the awesome stuff @arjan is building: Getting Started

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately Bubblescript is not open source… it is the core of our platform. But I’m still convincing my cofounders to release it and as soon as we have a viable way of opensourcing it, we will.

4 Likes

Oh I also, for fun, and to get experience with nimble_parsec, I recently toyed with creating a parser for Emacs lisp, though it is only a parser for now, not an entire language, yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’ve created a Telegram group for the project here.

Update: If anyone wants to follow along with development or contribute, the public repo for the project is here.

Hello,

last year I started writing a simple Basic Interpreter in Julia. Only by a mistake I lost my folder, because I forgot to save my stuff in time before a system update. It was a fun project in the style of an 80’s line interpreter :slight_smile:
Possible were Print, Input, String commands (Left, Right, Mid)
Loop commands 40 For x=1 to 10 … 100 Next x
and Goto of course :grin:
Split for parsing was done using a regular expression (space, comma, semicolon, leave all in quotes).
Variables and jumps were stored in maps (key-value)
e.g. x=10 -> Mem[“x”]=10, on a GOTO 50 the string line containing the 50 was stored -> JMP[“50”] = 5

best regards

Michael