fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m working on an app that uses both Cachex and Ecto. The common pattern is to use Cachex.fetch to wrap database queries, something like

Cachex.fetch(MyCache, "key", fn key -> database_query_by(key) end)

where the value is returned from cache when available, otherwise it calls the fallback function.

This is working fine when running the app, but it’s proving difficult to test because of the subtleties around Ecto Sandbox processes. Tests fail with a long error: cannot find ownership process for #PID<0.1708.0>. The error message is thankfully very detailed, but I can’t seem to find a way to run these tests async because the only way I can get them to work is by running them in shared mode (i.e. with async: false)

The test setup that works is:

  setup tags do
    repo_pid = Sandbox.start_owner!(MyRepo, shared: not tags[:async])

    on_exit(fn ->
      Sandbox.stop_owner(repo_pid)
    end)

    :ok
  end

This ensures that the repo process is shared when the test module includes async: false. With a little snooping around, I can see that Cachex relies on GenServer.call/3 to execute the fallback function, so it’s happening in its own process. I was hoping to allow this process explicitly, e.g.

allow = Process.whereis(MyCache)
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.allow(MyRepo, self(), allow)

But that doesn’t work because the process identifying the cache is not the process executing these callback functions, so the above still gets the cannot find ownership process for #PID<0.1708.0> errors. I think the crux of the matter is in Cachex.Services.Courier.handle_call/3 where the fallback function is executed inside an ad-hoc spawn/1 block. It’s not a named process, so you can’t “allow” it via Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.allow/3. You can put an IO.inspect(self()) inside a Cachex.fetch fallback function and see that the pid changes each time you run it.

It seems like Cachex + Ecto tests need to run async: false, but I noticed this post:

@benwilson512 mentions the use of the :caller option being passed to Ecto.Repo functions. However, that post is from 2019, and I don’t see mention of a :caller option anywhere in the Ecto docs.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

I think :shared mode actually exists for your exact use case: when you can’t explicitly allow every process to use the checked out repo. The error probably is coming from someplace else. Consider this test case:

defmodule Share.Test do
  use Share.DataCase

  test "repo can be called from async function" do
    test = self()

    spawn(fn ->
      assert Share.Repo.query!("select 1 + 1").rows == [[2]]
      send(test, :done)
    end)

    assert_receive :done
  end
end

It passes even though the spawned process is not explicitely allowed to use the repo.

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

Note however, that we wait for the repo call to finish before finishing the test. Maybe the error is coming from Cachex trying to access the repo checked out for a finished test.

samba6

samba6

Here are some examples from one of my projects:

def get_user_by_session_token(token_string) do
  caller = self()

  {_, user} =
    AppCache.fetch_user_by_token(token_string, fn ->
      {:ok, query} = UserToken.verify_session_token_query(token_string)

      case Repo.one(query, caller: caller) do
        nil ->
          {:ignore, nil}

        user ->
          {:commit, user}
      end
    end)

  user
end

The key, is the Repo.one(query, caller: caller).

Here is another one:

def load_user_groups(%{groups: %Ecto.Association.NotLoaded{}} = user) do
  repo_opts = [caller: self()]

  {_, user} =
    AppCache.fetch_user_groups_by_id(user, fn ->
      user = Repo.preload(user, [:groups], repo_opts)

      {:commit, user}
    end)

  user
end
fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Thank you for the examples! Where are the docs for this option? I tried passing in the caller like this, but I was still getting errors, so I want to double-check that I did it correctly. Thanks!

samba6

samba6

This video should hopefully make it clear what’s going on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZpDR0wCRFQ .

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews