tellesleandro
I have the following code running on node “a”:
defmodule Devices.Teste do
use GenServer
def start_link() do
IO.inspect(["a", self()])
GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], [])
end
def a(pid) do
IO.inspect(["b", self(), pid])
GenServer.call(pid, :a)
end
@impl true
def init([]) do
IO.inspect(["c", self()])
{:ok, []}
end
@impl true
def handle_call(:a, from, state) do
IO.inspect(["d", :a, self(), from])
Process.sleep(3000)
{:reply, :xyz, state}
end
@impl true
def handle_info(x, state) do
IO.inspect(["e", x, self()])
{:noreply, state}
end
end
From a node b, I call
{:ok, pid} = :erpc.call(:"a@192.168.15.83", Devices.Teste, :start_link, [])
then, the messages
["a", #PID<0.225.0>]
["c", #PID<0.226.0>]
are printed and the call returns
{:ok, #PID<20968.226.0>}
After that, I call
:erpc.call(:"a@192.168.15.83", Devices.Teste, :a, [pid])
then, the message
["b", #PID<0.227.0>, #PID<0.226.0>]
is printed, but I get the following error:
** (exit) {:exception, {:noproc, {GenServer, :call, [#PID<20968.226.0>, :a, 5000]}}}
(kernel 8.5.4) erpc.erl:700: :erpc.call/5
iex:2: (file)
If I call
GenServer.call(pid, :a)
no messages are printed and I get the following error
** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(#PID<20968.214.0>, :a, 5000)
** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started
(elixir 1.15.0) lib/gen_server.ex:1074: GenServer.call/3
iex:2: (file)
What am I missing?
As long as I understand, I should use the “remote” pid that I get from the start_link function.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
anuaralfetahe
When the
:erpccall is finished the spawned process on the remote node is terminated and it brings down the started child as well because they are linked.Consider using
startinstead ofstart_link, and this approach should resolve the issue. Unlikestart_link,startdoes not link the caller to the created processes. As a result, even after the caller terminates, the created processes remain active.There might be a more elegant solution to your problem, but I’m not fully aware of the entire context.
Be careful with ‘start’ because it can leave rogue processes in the system..
tellesleandro
startdid the trick. Thanks @anuaralfetahe.