owaisqayum

owaisqayum

Hi,

I am having three functions and the data inputs to only one of them. Lets say i have a function A having two parameters a and b. The sum operation is going inside.

def sum(a, b), do: a + b

Then in the second function, I want to add ten to the result of sum(a, b). So i can simply do like

def sum(a, b) do 
a + b
|> add()
end

and then define add.

def add(sum) do
sum + 10
end

Now, my question is that how can I use this sum function and add functions separately. let’s say in a third function I want to take the product of sum and add function. Right now I can’t use them as the sum function is always calling the add function.

def product() do
# code here
add * sum
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Are you looking for this one?

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Actually no, I am looking for something where I can use the output of a function and also use it in some other function without specifying the arguments.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That sounds like OOP. Elixir doesn’t have objects. Functions act on their parameters (besides side-effects).

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

yeah, you are right … is there any approach that I can follow to get what I want …
do you think function arity can be my friend

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I still don’t really understand what you’re after, so I can’t really give suggestions for alternatives.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

I want to use the output of a function A in let says function B. Sometimes we don’t have those parameters in function B, then how can we use the function A output in function B.

There is one way we can call function B in Function A, like this

def A(a, b, c) do
a+ b + c 
|> B()
end

But I don’t want this approach. I want to handle them separately. How you got my question.
Thanks

Jcambass

Jcambass

I want to use the output of a function A in let says function B. Sometimes we don’t have those parameters in function B, then how can we use the function A output in function B.

You can’t. If you need the output of function A you either need to call it and pass the output of it as an parameter to function B, or you need to call function A with arguments in function B.

Your question is quite theoretical, maybe you can share the problem you’re actually trying to solve (if you have a concrete thing you’re trying to achieve). Functional is a different way of programming but it can solve the same problems as OOP, it just needs a different way of thinking about the problem you want to solve.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

def delta_link(tuple, count) do
    # [{tuple, count}]

    linkv(tuple, count)
  end

  def linkv(tuple, count) do
    try do
      :ets.new(:linkv, [:named_table, :duplicate_bag])
    rescue
      ArgumentError -> :ok
    end

    :ets.insert(:linkv, [{tuple, count} | link()])

    :ets.tab2list(:linkv)
    |> Count.count()
    |> IO.inspect()
  end

  def insert(s, d) do
    dl = :ets.new(:delta_link, [:duplicate_bag])

    :ets.insert(dl, {s, d})

    :ets.lookup(dl, s)
    |> delta_link(1)
  end

in this code, i want to use delta_link separately and linkv separately. I just want to call the output of delta_link in linkv.

lud

lud

Hello, I can’t understand your question. Why can’t you just call add(sum(a, b), 10) where you need the result?

By the way, the following code:

a + b
|> add()

is actually a + add(b). If you really want to use pipes you need to write:

(a + b)
|> add()
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The full pipe way :slight_smile:

a 
|> Kernel.+(b) 
|> add()

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews