pedrogarrett
What is the best (or maybe simplest) way to call Elixir functions from Ruby?
I have a Rails application in which we are gradually porting functions in it over to an Elixir application. I could, of course, add Phoenix to the Elixir app and make http/json calls to it, but it seems like there ought to be a more efficient method.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
blatyo
This is one approach: https://medium.com/@sugarpirate/rise-from-the-ashes-incremental-apis-with-phoenix-b08cd66bd142
easco
You could also have the Ruby application launch the Elixir application, or vice-versa, and communicate one to the other over stdin and stdout (using something like the External Term Format External Term Format — OTP 29.0.2 (erts 17.0.2) for which there are Ruby Gems available).
Really any IPC mechanism on the platform you are using should be able to let the Ruby and Elixir processes communicate, it doesn’t have to be done over HTTP.
On the Elixir/Erlang side, you should look into “Ports”. At the end of the day your goal is not to call functions in Elixir so much as it is to send a message to an Elixir process and have it execute some functions.
karmajunkie
This isn’t really an Elixir/Ruby problem so much as a systems integration issue—anything you’d do to integrate two services normally should also apply.
HTTP calls are probably the least problematic as you can treat them synchronously. However if you can handle asynchronicity in the Rails application, then my favorite means of doing this kind of thing is a durable message queue. You’ve got a plethora of choices there ranging from sidekiq-style queues in Redis (and there are at least a couple of options for consuming sidekiq format messages in Elixir) to AMQP servers like RabbitMQ to something hosted like AWS SQS. Treat the functions as command messages and send back a response message from Elixir to be further dealt with by the Rails app.