Gatica

Gatica

I’m trying to figure out a way to initiate a call to the Elixir application from a linked port driver. I have a library in C, which functions as a server. It creates a thread when it’s initialised from Elixir, which sevices network requests in C. I can make calls from Elixir down to the driver and send messages to it. However, if the server needs to respond to a request, it cannot make calls back up to Elixir. I thought this would be straightfoward with driver_output() function, but then I don’t have the driver handle and I suppose the message in Elixir would be handled asynchronously too.

Any suggestions as to how this can be done?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

garazdawi

garazdawi

Erlang Core Team

You cannot call Erlang/Elixir from a driver or nif.

The thread that does the request could wait on a futex (or similar) after sending a message to the process that needs to run some Erlang/Elixir code. Then when the process is done it can call the driver/nif again and deliver the response and trigger the futex.

It is not easy to do things this way, but it is possible. For instance, I think that the wx application in Erlang handles some of the wx callbacks this way.

Gatica

Gatica OP

thank you very much for confirming this for me.
Will take a look at the futex. Otherwise, we may need to rething our design.

evadne

evadne

I have a cracking idea.

• You might be able to cheat by passing a reference to a separately handled UNIX socket.

• Alternatively, make your external thing a C node and integrate Erlang Distribution (i.e. change the design). Still, have your Elixir app spawn & manage it, possibly via saleyn/erlexec or some other libraries that were proven to be robust.

Making the external thing into its own C / Java node, is a viable option, and I have used this approach with great success.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I recently asked about a very similar situation (calling a function from a NIF) over on the Erlang forums. There is no straightforward way to do this, but there are a number of interesting workarounds.
The core approach is similar to what @garazdawi also mentions: Use a separate Elixir/Erlang process which you exchange messages with. To hide this async communication inside a function that expects to run in a normal synchronious fashion, using any kind of mutex to wait for a reply (/or crash) from the process.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews