James_E
I have a mix app, and the following snippet in runtime.exs:
if config_env() == :prod do
# ...
phx_ip = case System.get_env("PHX_IP", "ANY") do
"ANY" -> :any
s -> case MyApp.Util.parse_ip(s) do
{:ok, ip} -> ip
{:error, error} -> :erlang.error(error)
end
end
However, when I try to port this snippet to dev.exs (we need to test the specific-IP handling code in dev), it won’t compile because MyApp.Util isn’t available.
How should I make a module of my code available to dev.exs?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
garrison
This is not an answer to your question, but it’s perfectly fine to gate code by env in
runtime.exs; this is in fact exactly what theif config_env() == :prod doline in your snippet does.(You are probably aware of this, but I mention it just in case.)
seeplusplus
This may be similar to this thread,
But based on some quick testing I’d say you don’t really want to do what you’re doing inside a
dev.exs. It’s only run before compile (which is why you can’t read your modules’ functions) and is not run after you’ve built your release. In your case it looks like you’re reading an env var to determine which IPs to bind to, which is definitely something you’d want to do on each startup.Could you just remove the
if config_env() == :prodaround yourphx_ipcode to test in dev?adamu
Any code that needs to be tested should be in a module, not in a config file.
hauleth
You cannot use functions defined in your code in
dev.exsas there you define compile-time config. So you will have chicken-egg problem if that would be possible.