amarandon

amarandon

Dear Elixir forum,

We have a web page in which we stream output from processing jobs. We’ve set up LiveView so that the content of our box reflects the current job output. It works great but we’d like to keep the job output in a fixed height box and always show the latest lines (unless the user scrolls up), similar to GitLab CI job output. We’ve got a pure CSS solution but unfortunately because of an old Firefox bug it works only on Chrome.

So we’re wondering if it’s possible to plug a small piece of JS code that would be called when LiveView triggers an update. We could use this code to scroll down the bottom of our output box whenever new content gets appended to it.

Another use case I’m thinking of for being able to call some custom JS code upon LiveView update is when adding items to a list, we could use a piece of JS to highlight the new item in order to make it more noticeable by the user.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

peerreynders

peerreynders

JS interop is an on-going effort.

So in case there isn’t a suggestion from anyone more familiar with LiveView forthcoming, it may be worthwhile to check out MutationObserver (as already suggested here) in order to run some client code in response to any changes in the DOM.

idi527

idi527

It’s also possible to listen for "phx:update" events which are (at least to my knowledge) emitted when the DOM is done being patched.

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/issues/81#issuecomment-473750152

I used it in some of my “experiments” with client side js libs (similarly to LiveView: How to trigger JS function? (Update chart.js on data change)) to create/destroy/recreate their objects when the DOM elements they were “bound” to got “morphdomed”.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Works with thermostat_live.ex:

import css from "../css/app.css";
import "phoenix_html"
import {LiveSocket, debug} from "phoenix_live_view"

let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live")
liveSocket.connect()

// grab time and weather temperature from thermostat
// --- assets/app.js --- vvv New vvv

document.addEventListener('phx:update', phxUpdateListener);

function phxUpdateListener(_event) {
  const time = extractTime()
  if (!time) {
    return
  }

  const temperature = extractTemperature()
  if (!temperature) {
    return
  }

  const message =  `${time}: ${temperature}`
  console.log(message)
}

function extractTime() {
  const timeSpan = document.querySelector('div.bar > span')
  return timeSpan && timeSpan.textContent
}

function extractTemperature() {
  const weatherForm = document.querySelector('span.weather form')
  if (!weatherForm) {
     return null
  }

  const result = /[+-]?\d+°[CF]/i.exec(weatherForm.lastChild.textContent)

  return result && result[0]
}

Certainly simpler than using a MutationObserver.

10
Post #3
amarandon

amarandon OP

Thank you both. The phx:update event did the trick for us. Many thanks.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews