vkryukov

vkryukov

Hi, I have the following calculation in one of my resources:

  calculations do
    calculate :llm_model,
              :map,
              expr(
                cond do
                  role == :basic -> %{"model" => "gpt-4o-mini"}
                  role == :pro -> %{"model" => "o3-mini", "reasoning_effort" => "medium"}
                  role == :admin -> %{"model" => "o3-mini", "reasoning_effort" => "high"}
                end
              )
  end

This compiles without any problems, and my reading of Ash.Resource — ash v3.29.3 is that any return type, including :map, is allowed.

However, I get the following error when executing this code, where victor is a User resource:

victor |> Ash.load!(:llm_model)
[debug] QUERY ERROR source="users" db=2.3ms queue=1.4ms idle=1593.8ms
SELECT u0."id", (CASE WHEN u0."role"::varchar::varchar = $1::varchar::varchar THEN $2 WHEN u0."role"::varchar::varchar = $3::varchar::varchar THEN $4 WHEN u0."role"::varchar::varchar = $5::varchar::varchar THEN $6 ELSE NULL END) FROM "users" AS u0 WHERE (u0."id"::uuid::uuid = $7::uuid::uuid) [:basic, %{"model" => "gpt-4o-mini"}, :pro, %{"model" => "o3-mini", "reasoning_effort" => "medium"}, :admin, %{"model" => "o3-mini", "reasoning_effort" => "high"}, "ab2ba555-671f-4d73-861d-c9171ec7ec9b"]
↳ anonymous fn/3 in AshPostgres.DataLayer.run_query/2, at: lib/data_layer.ex:785
** (Ash.Error.Unknown)
Bread Crumbs:
  > Error returned from: FiveWhys.Accounts.User.read

Unknown Error

* ** (DBConnection.EncodeError) Postgrex expected a binary, got %{"model" => "gpt-4o-mini"}. Please make sure the value you are passing matches the definition in your table or in your query or convert the value accordingly.
<...>

I understand it that there is an attempt to evaluate the expression in Postgresql level, which understandably fails.

Am I expecting too much from calculated fields here? I can of course split it into two calculated fields, e.g., model and reasoning_effort, but I’m curious what is the idiomatic Ash solution here.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

This is a bug. Can you open an issue on the ash_postgres repo with a link to a reproduction?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

And make sure that you’re on the latest versions of everything and that its still not working :smile:

vkryukov

vkryukov OP

Yes, upgraded everything and can confirm that the bug is still there:

Upgraded:
  ash 3.5.2 => 3.5.4
  ash_admin 0.13.3 => 0.13.4
  ash_authentication 4.6.3 => 4.6.4
  ash_authentication_phoenix 2.5.2 => 2.5.3
  ash_graphql 1.7.6 => 1.7.7
  ash_phoenix 2.1.25 => 2.1.26
  ash_postgres 2.5.14 => 2.5.15
  ash_sql 0.2.66 => 0.2.67

Created a ticket: Calculated field with :map return type doesn't work with Postgres backend · Issue #528 · ash-project/ash_postgres · GitHub

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews