xxia
I’m new to Elixir and playing around with tracing. Following an example, I successfully setup :dbg to trace Enum.map/2 when executed inside iex. The trace event is created.
iex(3)> :dbg.tp(Enum, :map, [])
{:ok, [{:matched, :nonode@nohost, 1}]}
iex(4)> :dbg.p(:all, :c)
{:ok, [{:matched, :nonode@nohost, 61}]}
iex(5)> Enum.map()
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Enum.map/0 is undefined or private. Did you mean one of:
* map/2
(elixir 1.12.1) Enum.map()
(<0.109.0>) call 'Elixir.Enum':map([{1.0,map,2}],#Fun<Elixir.UndefinedFunctionError.7.56279482>)
iex(5)>
I then tried to trace Kernel.rem/2 . This doesn’t appear to work. I tried a couple of other Kernel functions and they all didn’t produce a trace event.
iex(6)> :dbg.tp(Kernel, :rem, [])
{:ok, [{:matched, :nonode@nohost, 1}]}
iex(7)> rem(1,1)
0
iex(8)> Kernel.rem(1,1)
0
Why are they not traced? Thank you
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
voltone
That’s because
Kernel.rem/2is “inlined by the compiler”, as mentioned in the documentation for that function (guard). It basically gets translated to an Erlang operator, so no function invocation takes place.This is something to keep in mind when using
:dbgand other tools that use BEAM tracing: the code you see in the editor/IEx may get optimized by the various compiler stages and this may impact what you can trace.xxia
Thank you for that explanation and that makes sense!