brightball

brightball

I haven’t been able to find a clear answer on this from Google so I wanted to pose the question here.

Can a supervised Elixir process tolerate an Out of Memory error? It seems like it would based on isolated heap space, supervision and recovery. I know that I’ve read that the VM itself can’t tolerate running out of memory from too many large concurrent processes or atom flooding, but I wasn’t sure how this applied to supervised processes.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

NobbZ

NobbZ

As soon as there is a single process that fills up the memory (current free memory of the machine is less then the required size of the new heap) it will bring the complete BEAM down. At least thats how it looked like, when it happened to me, but thats been with erlang OTP 16, some time ago :wink:

sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

You can limit the max heap size per each process with Process.flag:

iex> spawn(fn ->
        Process.flag(:max_heap_size, 233)
        IO.inspect(Enum.to_list(1..1000))
      end)

01:06:55.841 [error]      Process:          #PID<0.85.0> 
     Context:          maximum heap size reached
     Max Heap Size:    233
     Total Heap Size:  448
     Kill:             true
     Error Logger:     true
     GC Info:          [old_heap_block_size: 0, heap_block_size: 466, mbuf_size: 0, recent_size: 0,
 stack_size: 14, old_heap_size: 0, heap_size: 215, bin_vheap_size: 0,
 bin_vheap_block_size: 46422, bin_old_vheap_size: 0,
 bin_old_vheap_block_size: 46422]

See erlang docs for more info (look for max_heap_size clause).

10
Post #2
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews