Can I learn / use Phoenix without fully learning all that Elixir has to offer?

Don’t try to remember that! That’s definitely not a good way to learn anything related to documentation.

I don’t believe that you would need to pay for anything and read any books. Of course they are awesome and would help a lot, but you can definitely deal with Elixir without them.

Here is my general proposition:

1. Firstly learn basics (like guides from official website). You can’t use Phoenix without Elixir, so its definitely required.

2. After it take a look at least one good website for learning Elixir like ElixirSchool. After that your knowledge should be enough to learn on your own way faster or slower.

3. Once you read them you should (it’s not requirement) read whole Elixir API module by module.

Of course you should not remember anything of that. You should know that something like this (here: specific function) exists, so when you are stuck then you can return back to specific documentation much more faster - that’s point - it’s basically your learning optimization i.e. if you know what you want to find then it’s already 90% of your research. :slight_smile:

4. After that I recommend to read some forum posts and Slack conversations for example elixir-news. I think that @josevalim explains best his ideas and takes lots of his time to answer questions even from beginners. Being so close allows you to understand way of programming in Elixir like why this is introduced, why it has biggest priority, why this should be implemented as standalone library etc.

5. If you are going to use database go to step 1, but change Elixir to ecto. Welcome in infinite loop. :smiley:

6. At this step take care of Phoenix guides. It’s your final step. I don’t believe that there is quicker free way to write good Elixir code and use Phoenix.

Make sure you consider also optional steps. They are like friends in MMORPG games which can level up you much quicker. :smiley:

Other threads which may help you:

1. What is your number one tip for anyone new to Elixir?
    I think it’s related thread. Some tips always under price. :077:

2. Why Enum.filter_map is deprecated?
    I choose this one as a simple example of thinking in core team.

3. Your Elixir Tips Thread
    Again tips … Is it déjà vu already or just another my SPAM tip? :slight_smile:

4. function - Returning values in Elixir? - Stack Overflow
    This is important example especially when you used another language before. Elixir is much easier to learn in my opinion. It’s like a cat i.e. really cute syntax, but follows its own way. :077:

5. Elixir's biggest gotchas?
    The biggest gotcha is actually not read this thread! :smiley:

10 Likes