andre1sk
Being new to Elixir would be very valuable to learn what you guys consider to be the biggest gotchas in Elixir land?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
muhifauzan
For me, it’s the functional programming. Elixir is not the first functional programming I learn. But it’s the first functional programming I learn by doing, not just by reading the books. Another things are like pattern matching, pipe operator, recursive call, etc.
gregvaughn
erlang charlists. Newbie exercises are bound to create a list of integers and iex will print it out in a surprising way. It’s a fundamental ambiguity that’s completely understandable, but it introduces itself to newcomers in a very surprising way.
karmajunkie
For me the trickiest thing has been new patterns for managing state. The BEAM ecosystem has extraordinarily powerful tools for this, but learning new abstractions for it like the proper use of genservers and supervision trees has been a road with some missteps for me.
Onor.io
Yep–that’s one of those questions that keeps coming up again and again.
Onor.io
Allowing rebinding of values leads people new to Elixir to think we allow mutation.
Perfectly legal and people think it means that someone is mutating x–which they’re not. But this seems to be one of those things that people inevitably see and say “Hey waitaminute–I thought Elixir doesn’t allow mutation? WTF?”
I don’t know that I’d call this a “gotcha” but it does seem to confuse new folks on a fairly regular basis.
andre1sk
For me so far syntax for piping into anonymous function was a bit surprising:
|> (&(&1)).()
sotojuan
I’d say most gotchas are related to OTP and state management—it’s really a whole different beast from the language itself.
Language-level gotchas and common pitfalls include:
=is not assignmentifinstead of function pattern matchingrvirding
Erlang charlists can be confusing but it is not restricted to just erlang charlists. You have exactly the same issue with elixir strings:
It’s a result of the erlang system only having a fixed set of datatypes and not being able to define your own datatypes, and there is no character or string base type. This means choosing an existing type to use as strings: erlang chose lists which was common in the functional world, while elixir has chosen binaries.
Robert
josevalim
I think Elixir may actually make it slightly more confusing because a lot of folks coming from other language expect
'foo' == "foo". That’s why one of the proposals I want to send after v1.3 is out is to deprecate the use of'foo'in the long-term (and I really mean long-term) in favor of the sigil~c"foo". It is going to be more explicit and I find using sigils for char lists in Elixir at this point more idiomatic.gregvaughn
I like that. The experienced developers needing to interact with erlang libs will be comfortable with sigils, and the newcomers won’t have to learn it until later. Brilliant!