henriquesati
this is my current project structure, the get request has a field that needs external validation
the idea is the endpint dispatch the validation async to a task or spawn (for what I researched, if I dont need a explicity return, spawn its more lightweith and swits me more) and then retrieve the result with a get request via another endpoint, and leave tha
the task to registry the result on the ets and the db, the possible states for the value
would be
value = processing
value = acceptd (waiting for payment)
value = denied ({error, reason}
can I trust the task to perform all its duties without being supervised?
the info registered on db will have a timestamp of 2 or 3 mins, after this everything will be dropped, so it the get request doesnt find the value on the ets for any reason (if too many request hits the post endpoint, the value may be dropped from the ets, I will yet think on the cache logic) neither on the db, it can be assumed that the response was {:error, reason}, but fot that I need to trust that everything delegated to the the asyncs will be executed
also, do I need to protect my system against ets random crashs? and if yes, besides using supervisor to restart it there is a way to retrieve the data?
fyi, the application will be running on cloud with 2cpu and 3gb ram
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Short answer: not really, unless you take special care, which would mean (1) Oban jobs – possibly chunked – and (2) state inside the DB with explicit information about how far you got and what’s the current status of each step.
Nope. If ETS randomly loses your data then that’s a all-hands-on-deck OTP bug. Nothing you could. Don’t even think of protecting against that.
Can’t say I completely grasped your problem but IMO you should take special care to break down these separate jobs as a start.
kip
As @dimitarvp says, if ETS itself crashes, that’s an OTP bug. However ETS tables are owned by a process and the tables disappear when the process exits (for whatever reason). So you may benefit from some additional resilience around the owner process. For that, ETS provides an heir option to
:ets.new/2. If the owning process dies, then theheirprocess will take ownership.The eternal library helps keep ETS table alive even when the owner process dies using the
heirmechanism.Even so, if the owner and the heir keep crashing you can still create a situation when you lose the ETS data. So if its mission critical, serialising the ETS data periodically (at some appropriate “save point”) may still make sense.