Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

I’ve been looking into the problem of creating an economical notetaker for blind users, using something like a RasPi as the hardware platform. Ideally, it would be instantly available for use, yet have very long battery life. (and a pony…)

I’m not sure that this is possible, if the CPU and RAM are powered up continuously. However, really fast startup times might provide an acceptable compromise. Has anyone built Nerves systems that boot up in only a few seconds? If so, can you point me to any information on what was involved?

I’d also be interested in designs that use some sort of checkpoint / restart strategy for the running system image. Indeed, any plausible suggestions would be welcome…

Showing Posts 1 to 4

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I haven’t used nerves a ton, but when I did this was exactly my experience. I hit power, and within ~3 seconds the device was on, booted, and running my code.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Sounds like you’d want a suspendable OS with an E-Ink display then, that would give you an excessively long battery life. It wouldn’t use any power at all except when responding to an event.

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

It’s not clear that a screen is even necessary for blind users. That said, a screen with multi-touch capability could be used to enter Braille chords, in the manner of a Perkins Brailler. (A friend of mine uses an iPhone app for this.)

Can you give me any leads (or better, links) on suspendable OSes? I have no clue about what might be available in that area.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Even nerves could do it, just needs the hardware for it. They tend to be slow because they need to use non-volatile ram or they need to suspend to/from storage every time as quick as possible. I don’t really know the details but I’ve seen some things a prior workmate built, plus there are things like the e-ink readers and so forth that work similarly.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews