omin

omin

I have Users that has many Photos and the Photos have a Location.

user = Repo.get_by(User, id: id)
result = user |> Repo.preload([:photos])

Up to here works fine but when I try to preload Location, ecto looks inside User to preload, not Photos.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

I haven’t tried that, but in queries you can do it:

Repo.all from p in Post, preload: [comments: :likes]

so it seems to me it should be possible to do:

result = user |> Repo.preload([photos: :location])

but I haven’t actually tested if that works.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yes, it should work. :smiley:

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

here’s one for the API consistency! :tropical_drink:

omin

omin OP

hm… I already tried that though.

result = user |> Repo.preload([:photos])
cannot encode association :location from Foodhunt.Photo to JSON because the association was not loaded. Please make sure you have preloaded the association or remove it from the data to be encoded

result = user |> Repo.preload([:photos, :location])
schema Foodhunt.User does not have association :location

Repo.all(Photo) |> Repo.preload([:location])

This works so it’s not a problem with the schema.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

[:photos, :location] != [photos: :location]

omin

omin OP

I should read more carefully XD. I appreciate the help! Thanks guys.

omin

omin OP

It’s still pretty minimalistic but here’s the code in action! https://foodhunt.org/CH/map

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews