gavid

gavid

I wanted to create a way to “safely” evaluate a string containing Elixir code. The code in the string should not be allowed to use any functions or modules (not even those from the Kernel e.g. defmodule/2).

Have I succeeded, or are there still ways to create a string that will allow the function to succeed while violating my criteria above?

  def safe_eval(code) when is_binary(code) do
      quoted_form = Code.string_to_quoted!(code, existing_atoms_only: true)
      Macro.postwalk(quoted_form, fn node ->
        if is_tuple(node) and (Kernel.elem(node, 0) in [:__aliases__]) do
          raise "Cannot use aliases or references to other modules"
        end
      end)
      {evaluated, _bindings} = Code.eval_string(code, [], %Macro.Env{})
      {"ok", evaluated}

  end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

jhogberg

jhogberg

Erlang Core Team

Try "<<0::size(123456789123456789)>>" :slight_smile:

Why does it have to be Elixir code? If you can’t call any functions or modules then it sounds restricted enough that you could probably do what you want with a simple DSL instead, and writing an interpreter for a (say) small Lisp-like DSL doesn’t take very long.

gavid

gavid OP

I agree with you.

What I want, for product-specific reasons, is a restricted subset of Elixir. That way, the input can be easily used to generate Elixir code via certain meta-programming systems. I am trying to determine if that can be done by filtering input to Code.eval_string. If that can’t be done safely, then I will have to write a custom interpreter for the restricted subset of Elixir that I want, or else an entirely different DSL.

Either way, this is an interesting experiment.

adamu

adamu

hst337

hst337

binary = <<131, 104, 3, 100, 0, 9, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 73, 79, 100, 0, 4,
  112, 117, 116, 115, 108, 0, 0, 0, 1, 109, 0, 0, 0, 4, 102, 117, 99, 107, 106>>
{module, function, args} = apply(:erlang, :binary_to_term, [binary])
apply(module, function, args)

You should consider using Dune. But I think that you’d better give up on this idea and I suggest you to use special embedded languages like Lua for example

jhogberg

jhogberg

Erlang Core Team

I guess it depends on the threat model, the underlying :erl_eval module wasn’t designed to be safe against a determined attacker: at the very least it’ll be possible for them to exhaust system resources.

If it’s just about guarding against accidental calls to other modules and the like, then I think a better approach would be to use the local/non-local function handler functionality in :erl_eval to filter calls, as nothing can sneak through that (as @hst337 pointed out, dynamic calls still sneak through yours). Code.eval_string/3 doesn’t expose this functionality (yet?) so it’ll be a bit of a slog to copy and modify Code.eval_string/3 + :elixir.eval_forms/4, but it can be done.

… but you might not have to if Dune is good enough, as pointed out by @adamu :slight_smile:

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

+1 to @hst337’s point - you don’t even need binary_to_term:

quote do
  apply(:"Elixir.Foo", :bar, [])
end

gives the AST:

{:apply, [context: Elixir, imports: [{2, Kernel}, {3, Kernel}]],
 [Foo, :bar, []]}
gavid

gavid OP

What about this? I know that as it stands, it is quite heavily restricted, but at least it’s a start. Are there any loopholes here like your too-large bitstring example? I’m looking for anything that would allow someone to easily exhaust system resources, write to files, send process messages etc. but that would still pass safe_eval.

defmodule MyCompanyLibrary.Core.CodeExpert do
  @function_white_list [
                       :%{},
                       :__aliases__
                     ] ++
                       Enum.map(
                         MyCompanySpaceWeb.Step.Input.V_0_0_1.Functions.__info__(:functions),
                         fn {function_name, _arity} -> function_name end
                       )

  @module_funcs_white_list Enum.map(
                             MyCompanySpaceWeb.Step.Input.V_0_0_1.Functions.__info__(:functions),
                             fn {function_name, _arity} ->
                               {[:MyCompanySpaceWeb, :Step, :Input, :V_0_0_1, :Functions],
                                function_name}
                             end
                           )

  def function_white_list(term) when is_atom(term) and term in @function_white_list do
    term
  end

  def module_funcs_white_list({alias_list, function_name} = module_func)
      when is_list(alias_list) and is_atom(function_name) and
             module_func in @module_funcs_white_list do
    {alias_list, function_name}
  end

  # Elixir syntax was designed to have a straightforward conversion to an abstract syntax tree (AST).
  # Elixir's AST is a regular Elixir data structure composed of the following elements:
  #   atoms - such as :foo (btw, this includes booleans and nil)
  #   integers - such as 42
  #   floats - such as 13.1
  #   strings - such as "hello"
  def safe_ast(term) when is_atom(term) or is_number(term) or is_binary(term) do
    term
  end

  #   lists - such as [1, 2, 3]
  def safe_ast(term) when is_list(term) do
    term
    |> Enum.map(&safe_ast/1)
  end

  #   tuples with two elements - such as {"hello", :world}
  def safe_ast({elem1, elem2}) do
    {safe_ast(elem1), safe_ast(elem2)}
  end

  # {:., [], [{:__aliases__, [alias: false], [:String]}, :downcase]}
  # Note, this disallows compound function calls of the form MyModule.hello().world()
  def safe_ast(
        {:., metadata, [{:__aliases__, _alias_metadata, alias_args}, function_name] = args}
      ) do
    {"ok", true} = MyCompanyLibrary.Core.TestExpert.assert!(Keyword.keyword?(metadata))

    module_funcs_white_list({alias_args, function_name})

    {:., safe_ast(metadata), safe_ast(args)}
  end

  #   tuples with three elements, representing calls or variables, as explained next
  def safe_ast({func, metadata, args})
      when (is_atom(func) or is_tuple(func)) and is_list(metadata) and is_list(args) do
    {"ok", true} = MyCompanyLibrary.Core.TestExpert.assert!(Keyword.keyword?(metadata))

    if is_atom(func) do
      function_white_list(func)
    end

    {safe_ast(func), safe_ast(metadata), safe_ast(args)}
  end

  def safe_eval(code, opts_for_string_to_quoted \\ [existing_atoms_only: true]) when is_binary(code) do
    try do
      # I wish I could keep the existing_atoms_only option here, but
      # it causes stuff to break e.g. when seeding flows
      # ":description\" => \"unsafe atom does not exist: ConnectToSpace\",
      quoted_form = Code.string_to_quoted!(code, opts_for_string_to_quoted)

      MyCompanyLibrary.Core.TestExpert.assert_eq!(safe_ast(quoted_form), quoted_form)

      {evaluated, _bindings} = Code.eval_string(code, [], %Macro.Env{
        functions: [
          {MyCompanySpaceWeb.Step.Input.V_0_0_1.Functions,
           MyCompanySpaceWeb.Step.Input.V_0_0_1.Functions.__info__(:functions)}
        ]
      })
      {"ok", evaluated}
    rescue
      err -> {"error", err |> MyCompanyLibrary.Core.JsonExpert.json_friendly()}
    end
  end
end
jhogberg

jhogberg

Erlang Core Team

Like I said, it depends on your threat model. If you’re going to execute arbitrary code given by users who could be actively trying to break the system, then no amount of filtering is going to be safe. Trying to fill all the gaps is a pretty Sisyphean task, there’s always a risk you’ll miss something.

a = 1
a = %{ {a,1} => 1, {a,2} => 2, {a,3} => 3, {a,4} => 4, {a,5} => 5, {a,6} => 6, {a,7} => 7, {a,8} => 8,
            {a,9} => 9, {a,10} => 10, {a,11} => 11, {a,12} => 12, {a,13} => 13, {a,14} => 14, {a,15} => 15, {a,16} => 16 }
a = %{ {a,1} => 1, {a,2} => 2, {a,3} => 3, {a,4} => 4, {a,5} => 5, {a,6} => 6, {a,7} => 7, {a,8} => 8,
            {a,9} => 9, {a,10} => 10, {a,11} => 11, {a,12} => 12, {a,13} => 13, {a,14} => 14, {a,15} => 15, {a,16} => 16 }
# ... Repeat the above a few times, and it'll make the system run like molasses.
gavid

gavid OP

Fair enough. I suppose there would be no way to completely prevent Denial of Service type of attacks from determined users trying to break the system. I am simply trying to prevent as many paths of attack as I can.

By the way, my code above rejects your last example because := is not among the white-listed atoms.

iex(2)> quote do a = 1 end                                
{:=,
 [],
 [
   {:a,
    [],
    Elixir},
   1
 ]}

Also, I can improve the DoS resistance by using Task.await/Task.async with a timeout

aiwaiwa

aiwaiwa

:rofl:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews