vrod
I am working with behaviours and callbacks, so I am trying to define a spec for a function that should accept an argument which is also a function, but specifically a function that accepts 1 argument. I just discovered that there is a is_function that can be used in a guard clause: Kernel — Elixir v1.20.2
I have something like this:
@callback something(fun :: function()) :: list()
and implementations look like this:
@impl true
def something(fun) do
fun.("abc")
end
It is important that the provided fun has an arity of 1. I could make a guard clause:
@impl true
def something(fun) when is_function(fun, 1) do
fun.("abc")
end
but I am wondering if it is possible to define this in the @callback spec?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Marcus
You can try:
hauleth
Of course
(term() -> term()), but it will not enforce it in any way.dimitarvp
Yes, you can make a typespec for a function as well and then put it in the
@callbackdefinition. Or it can be put inline as @Marcus demonstrated.eksperimental
You can read the Typespecs page, specifically the tables in Typespecs reference — Elixir v1.20.2 when in doubt.
vrod
Ah, I did not realize that this is how you can annotate anonymous or captured functions:
However, why won’t this be enforced as the other types are enforced?
hauleth
It will be checked in most cases, not enforced. Nothing will prevent you from doing invalid call to such function.
eksperimental
As of now, the only type check that happens at compile time is determined by guards and pattern matching in function definitions (if I understand correctly how these new checks happen), not based on typespecs.
ityonemo
generally typespecs are not enforced in the BEAM at all. The function/arity typespecs are kind of deficient and (IMO) incorrect as implemented in dialyzer currently, I made an opinion video about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XSRsYSwNpQ
rvirding
Well elixir is dynamically typed so the checks aren’t done at compile time as such but the compiler adds code which do the checks in the patterns and guards. The compiler quite happily ignores all your type specs though you can use the dialyzer tool which will try to check your code and warn you if it finds errors.