kccarter
Is there a way for an HTML module to render some content that can be hoisted up into one of the parent layouts?
Our goal is to mimic the behavior of “Portals” that are present in some of the JS frameworks. This feature can be helpful for things like dynamically adding script tags at the bottom of the layout on a per-route basis or for adding DOM elements that might be displayed completely outside of the hierarchy for where they would otherwise be rendered. (Modals, for example.)
* root.html.heex
* app.html.heex
* records_controller.ex => Demo.UsersController
* records_web.ex => Demo.UsersHTML
In app.html.heex
<div>
<%= @inner_content %>
</div>
<!-- Render some content here that an HTML module might have created. -->
In Demo.UsersHTML
defmodule Demo.UsersHTML do
use DemoWeb, :html
embed_templates "templates_html/*"
def index(assigns) do
// Not sure if we could set/render something here,
// update assigns but still render index.html.heex
end
end
In index.html.heex:
<div>My Index Page</div>
<!-- Alternatively, render something right in the template that is captured? -->
<_some_tag_or_slot_>This should go inside app layout.</_some_tag_or_slot_>
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Not really. Slots allow a parent to place parts of something larger into distinct parts within the actual markup, but it‘s always going to be top-down.
mssantosdev
You can send a Phoenix Component in the controller assigns and use it in the root layout.
In your controller:
In your
layouts.ex:Finally, in your
root.html.heex(or any other layout file you want to use):Also, you can use slots:
In
root.html.heex:There’s a similar question here: Phoenix 1.7 and inversion of control to render a sidebar
kccarter
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. We did know that we could set an
assignsfrom within the Controller, but not sure if we could set it from inside the View module.The benefit of the View module is that we have one for
HTMLand one forJSONcontent, so any injection can be isolated to just theHTMLModule. As well, the actual content we want to “send” to the root layout is resolved inside the HTML View’s template, not the Controller.We’re basically wondering if we can recreate something like
Portals, as provided by frameworks like React and SolidJS:References:
SolidJS - Portals
React - Portals
VueJS - Teleport