Cannot compile exqlite on Windows

Background

I am trying to run this Elixir desktop app in my Windows VM:

I have installed Erlang OTP 24.X manually in my windows:
https://erlang.org/download/otp_win64_24.1.4.exe

And I have installed Elixir via the official website after, and have it configured to use the Erlang/OTP version I mentioned before:

Problem

So, I cloned the project and run mix deps.get as usual.
After that I ran mix deps.compile and I got an error:

λ mix deps.compile
===> Analyzing applications...
===> Compiling dbus
===> Compiling ranch
===> Compiling telemetry
==> exqlite
could not compile dependency :exqlite, "mix compile" failed. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile exqlite", update it with "mix deps.update exqlite" or clean it with "mix deps.clean exqlite"
** (Mix) "nmake" not found in the path. If you have set the MAKE environment variable,
please make sure it is correct.

This means I have an issue with a dependency:

λ mix deps.compile exqlite
==> exqlite
could not compile dependency :exqlite, "mix compile" failed. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile exqlite", update it with "mix deps.update exqlite" or clean it with "mix deps.clean exqlite"
** (Mix) "nmake" not found in the path. If you have set the MAKE environment variable,
please make sure it is correct.

What I tried

So, I am guessing my sqlite installation on my windows is not well done. I have installed sqlite in windows by following this tutorial:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/sqlite/sqlite_installation.htm

Which boils down to:

1. Go to SQLite download page, and download precompiled binaries from Windows section.
  2. Download sqlite-shell-win32-*.zip and sqlite-dll-win32-*.zip zipped files.
  3. − Create a folder C:\>sqlite and unzip above two zipped files in this folder, which will give you sqlite3.def, sqlite3.dll and sqlite3.exe files.
  4. − Add C:\>sqlite in your PATH environment variable and finally go to the command prompt and issue sqlite3 command, which should work.

And in fact when I type sqlite3 in my prompt, it does work.

However I understand I am still missing some step, but I can’t figure out what.

Question

What am I missing to compile the dependency?

Exqlite will not just use the existing Sqlite installation on your windows.
mix (mix deps compile) will try to compile the library (shipped with exqlite) with NMAKE on Windows.

I’ve written a guide exactly for us windows users.
Windows users — Exqlite v0.7.9
(sorry for just linking the guide - but I think everything is in there - even if it’s not the easiest get going - but this concerns every Elixir library using Erlang NIF)

Improvments of the guide of course are welcome.

4 Likes

Fixed it, thanks !