Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background & Problem
I am trying to install erlang in a Mac OS system with Mojave on it. However the installation hangs for no apparent reason:
$ asdf install erlang 22.2.8
asdf_22.2.8 is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation
The asdf_22.2.8 build has been deleted
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 22.2.8 (asdf_22.2.8), please wait...
I know the issue is not the network, as I have downloaded everything and the step that hangs forever is the Building step.
I have removed and re-installed both asdf and erlang from scratch as well, but it didn’t fix the issue.
I believe I have all necessary dependencies as well, otherwise the re-installation would have failed.
Questions
- Is someone else having the same issue?
- What can I do to fix this?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Is this in the same network as Installing erlang via asdf on Ubuntu fails after "Downloading kerl"?
If so, have you checked if the same solution works? If not, have you checked anyway?
Also, as far as I remember, only certain erlang versions are buildable on certain MacOS versions, due to things changing in MacOS and its default libraries or Xcode. Also I have heard that on MacOS you have to re-accept the Xcode license every now and then, and tools using Xcode will either fail or stale until you did…
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Yes, it is the same network.
Yes, I have tried the same solution (with the
.curlrcfile) but it didn’t work.I have some updates to do to XCode.
Will try those and then see how it goes!
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
After updating XCode the issue remains.
The only post I could find regarding a similar issue was an SO post which stated I had to install erlang > 22.3.1, which I am:
NobbZ
Erlang 22.2.8 is not
>22.3.1tjdam
How long is forever?
I’m on Mojave and coincidentally I had to do that yesterday, installing Elixir 1.11.3!
It hanged for quite a bit, almost an hour I think… I also thought something wrong was going on but it was dinner time, so I just left it there and when I came back it was completed.
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Ah yes, my bad. Well, the same happens with 22.3.1
Over 4 hours. On this machine:
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
I figured it out.
Turns out that while asdf is building a release (let’s say 22.2.8), you can actually follow its progress by going to
~/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_22.2.8and looking at theotp_build_22.2.8.log.By checking this I was actually able to find out that I had a problem with my brew installation, which in turn meant I was using a very outdated version of XCode and XTools.
By forcing an upgrade on my machine (and as a consequence fixing my broken brew installation), I was then able to smoothly run and install
asdf install erlang.Thanks everyone for the help! Once again I could not have done it without you!