jkbbwr

jkbbwr

I am able to do MTLS connections to a given service using curl and httpie. That works fine.

An example of a working httpie command http post --cert=./cert.pem --cert-key=./cert.key <url>
The key is passphrase protected, but I have tried using an unprotected one in Req/elixir and no dice.

But as soon as I try to replicate that in elixir using Req I get errors from the service saying that there is no client certificate being used.

I have tried using certfile and keyfile and password but nothing seems to work and there is remarkably no documentation about this.

I could swear I had it working before but I cannot for the life of me get it working now.

I appreciate this will be reasonably tricky to identify as I cannot obviously share the keys. But I would love any help, I am going slowly insane.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

jjcarstens

jjcarstens

Nerves Core Team

What you’re probably missing is CAs for the sever you’re connecting to. curl has a bit of magic to look in your system for CA store files with all the typical globally trusted root CAs. However, you have to explicitly give that to erlang. Adding cacerts: :public_key.cacerts_get() option would probably fix it for you so the server chain can be validated.

When in doubt, you can also set log_level: :debug in the SSL options to get more hints about where it is failing

jkbbwr

jkbbwr OP

Problem is, its not failing the SSL its just not sending the client certificates (or so it seems)

Where do I set the debug level? Currently I am trying to use Req but I have tried several.

adw632

adw632

Req uses Finch as its default adapter and Finch uses Mint (which allows all of the Erlang :gen_tcp and :ssl socket options to be passed).

So looking at the Req run_finch/1 documentation we see :connect_options which contains :transport_opts which defers to Mint for the details.

The mutual TLS options for Mint was answered here as not all options are covered in the Mint documentation, only the ones they alter the semantics of.

So your code will be something like:

Req.post!(url, json: payload, connect_options: [transport_opts: [cacerts: :public_key.cacerts_get(), certfile: ~c"client.pem", password: secret_charlist]])

Note that Erlang needs charlists passed.

jkbbwr

jkbbwr OP

Great answer, I think there was something to do with a TLS1.3 → 1.2 bug in erlang itself. That might be partly to blame for this. I have to deprio this right now but Ill keep it in mind.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews