digoio
running :observer.start from iex the processes tab shows font with light grey color that is hard to read. The system tab and others look normal (black) but various tabs with text look like this. I assume this is caused my Manjaro XFCE desktop dark theme. Anyone know why, and how to change/configure it, other than perhaps changing my desktop theme? thanks.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Check if you can disable theming per application. Some WMs allow that.
digoio
I changed themes to various, same result. It must be something about my XFCE setup.
digoio
I also changed the default system font and tried a few other things. No change.
NobbZ
It might be related to some compatibility layers between whatever XFCE uses and wxWidgets, which is used by observer.
I observed similar oddities back in the days when using Eclipse in a heavily themed environment.
Most of the time, I was able to find the root cause in the eclipse codebase where color values had been hardcoded instead of using symbolic names to inherit style from the OS/WM.
I’m not sure if this is the same in your situation.
Usually I’d suggest to start the application in question as the only client to X, but I am not sure how one would do that with observer. I even had to look it up for “normal” GUI applications.
Therefore, I’d try a very lightweight WM that comes with decent or no styling at all (i3wm, awesomewm, bspwm, etc; those are known to be relatively lightweight in general). And start your application there.
This will at least tell you if the problem is with XFCE or some inherited settings.
digoio
Looks like in my version of Manjaro I have the following wxWidgets libraries installed (Arch pacman repo):
wxgtk-common
wxgtk2
wxgtk3
all are version 3.0.4-1
OvermindDL1
It happens on other WM’s as well, here it is on KDE for example:
The issue is because the list control used here is not using the system theme information, which is actually quite odd because wxWidgets is usually pretty good about not hard-coding colors, so I’m thinking someone just screwed up somewhere is all, maybe it’s a custom control or something.
OvermindDL1
Another reason why I’m thinking it’s a custom control is because here is a list widget that actually looks correct:
digoio
same for me w/XFCE.
outlog
looks like the grey/blueish color happens right here, and then probably white somewhere else (so some kind of PR against otp should be feasible, though observer looks fine here on mac:/):
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/lib/observer/src/observer_app_wx.erl#L127
OvermindDL1
/me sighs
Figured, you never ever hard-code colors unless you hardcode both the foreground and background… >.>
Though preferably always use system colors so you don’t get something horrifying like garish white on a nice dark system.